This Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe is made of sweet potatoes, avocado oil spray, chives, Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, and flaky sea salt.
When I was a kid, I hardly ate fries because my parents didn’t let me. They had a misconception that fries were all deep fried and super unhealthy. It is the one food we hardly ever ate, so I grew up always wanting to eat fries because I couldn’t have them. Just because they are fries doesn’t mean they have to be unhealthy! These sweet potato fries are everything you have ever dreamed of. I added some fresh Cajun seasoning, and a good amount of paprika, which is so addictive! The key to a good air fry is to leave the skins on those potatoes. Not only does it require less work, but the skin becomes perfectly crispy. The potato skins also holds more nutrients than anything else.
- Are fries healthy when cooked in an air fryer?
- Why are Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries so great?
- How to make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe Variations
- How to store Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe Top tips
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- Food safety
Are fries healthy when cooked in an air fryer?
Cooking fries in an air fryer can be a healthier alternative to traditional frying methods because it uses much less oil. Air fryers use hot air to circulate around the food, creating a crispy texture without the need for deep frying in oil. This can significantly reduce the amount of calories, fat, and harmful compounds like acrylamide that are associated with deep frying.
However, it's important to note that fries are still a relatively high-calorie and high-carbohydrate food, regardless of the cooking method. Sweet potato fries, in particular, are a good source of vitamins and minerals, but they still contain natural sugars that can contribute to calorie intake.
To make air fryer fries even healthier, you can use healthier cooking oils like olive oil or avocado oil, and season with herbs and spices instead of salt. It's also important to keep portion sizes in mind and balance your fries with other healthy foods like vegetables and lean protein.
Why are Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries so great?
- They are crispy: Air frying creates a crispy texture on the outside of the sweet potato fries while leaving the inside soft and tender. This texture is similar to traditional deep-fried fries, but with much less oil.
- They are healthy: Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and air frying them uses much less oil than traditional frying methods. This makes air fryer sweet potato fries a healthier alternative to regular fries.
- They are easy to make: Air fryer sweet potato fries are quick and easy to make. You can cut the sweet potatoes into fries, season them with your favorite spices, and cook them in the air fryer in just a few minutes.
- They are versatile: Sweet potato fries can be seasoned with a variety of spices and herbs to create different flavors. You can also serve them with different dipping sauces to change up the taste.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
See recipe card for Cajun Sweet Potatoes in Air Fryer quantities.
How to make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into ¼ inch sticks.
Add the fries to a mixing bowl and a good amount of oil spray on the fries.
Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, and salt. Mix to combine. Add the fries to an air fryer basket, all in one layer, and cook at 380°F for about 14 minutes, flipping once halfway.
Air fry until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Timing varies on the air fryer. Garnish with freeze drives chives and serve with your favorite condiment, like ketchup or ranch.
Olive oil spray: For air frying recipes, I prefer using olive oil or avocado oil spray since you won’t need so much oil when air frying.
Sweet potatoes: I love using sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes they are highly nutritious.
Cajun Seasoning: You can make your own Cajun seasoning if you can’t find any. To make your own Cajun seasoning:
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe Variations
- Spicy sweet potato fries: Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or chili powder to the sweet potato fries before air frying for a little kick.
- Garlic sweet potato fries: Add a clove or two of minced garlic to the sweet potato fries before air frying for a delicious garlicky flavor.
- Rosemary sweet potato fries: Add some fresh or dried rosemary to the sweet potato fries before air frying for an aromatic and earthy taste.
- Cajun sweet potato fries: Add some Cajun seasoning to the sweet potato fries before air frying for a bold and spicy flavor.
- Curry sweet potato fries: Add a sprinkle of curry powder to the sweet potato fries before air frying for a warm and flavorful taste.
- Maple glazed sweet potato fries: Drizzle some maple syrup over the sweet potato fries before air frying for a sweet and caramelized taste.
- Lemon garlic sweet potato fries: Add some lemon zest and minced garlic to the sweet potato fries before air frying for a tangy and savory flavor.
- BBQ sweet potato fries: Add some BBQ seasoning or sauce to the sweet potato fries before air frying for a smoky and savory taste.
Check out this Air Fried Bok Choy.
- Air fryer: You will need an air fryer to cook the sweet potato fries. There are many different models available on the market, so be sure to choose one that suits your needs and budget.
- Cutting board: You will need a cutting board to cut the sweet potatoes into fries.
- Knife: You will need a sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes into fries. A chef's knife or a vegetable peeler can work well.
- Mixing bowl: You will need a mixing bowl to toss the sweet potato fries with oil and seasonings before air frying.
- Measuring cups and spoons: You will need measuring cups and spoons to measure out the oil and seasonings for the sweet potato fries.
- Spatula: You will need a spatula to transfer the sweet potato fries to the air fryer basket and to turn them over during cooking.
- Serving bowl: You will need a serving bowl to transfer the cooked sweet potato fries to and to serve them in.
How to store Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
If you have leftover air fryer sweet potato fries, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Here's how to do it:
- Allow the sweet potato fries to cool to room temperature.
- Place the sweet potato fries in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Store the container or bag in the refrigerator.
- To reheat the sweet potato fries, preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C). Place the sweet potato fries in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-8 minutes or until heated through and crispy.
Note that reheating sweet potato fries may cause them to lose some of their crispiness, but they will still be tasty. If you want to enjoy your sweet potato fries at their crispiest, it's best to eat them fresh from the air fryer.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe Top tips
- Cut the sweet potato fries evenly: To ensure that the sweet potato fries cook evenly, try to cut them into even-sized pieces. This will help them cook at the same rate and prevent some fries from getting too crispy while others are still undercooked.
- Soak the sweet potato fries: Soaking the sweet potato fries in cold water for 30 minutes before air frying can help remove excess starch and make them extra crispy.
- Dry the sweet potato fries thoroughly: After soaking the sweet potato fries, make sure to dry them thoroughly with a paper towel. Excess water on the fries can prevent them from getting crispy.
- Use a light coating of oil: A light coating of oil is all you need to help the sweet potato fries crisp up in the air fryer. Too much oil can make them soggy and greasy.
- Season generously: Don't be shy with the seasonings! Sweet potato fries are delicious on their own, but adding some spices or herbs can take them to the next level. Be sure to toss the fries with the seasonings in a mixing bowl before air frying.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket: Make sure the sweet potato fries are in a single layer in the air fryer basket, without touching each other. This will allow the hot air to circulate around them and help them cook evenly.
- Shake the basket during cooking: Shake the air fryer basket once or twice during cooking to ensure that the sweet potato fries cook evenly on all sides.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove