Need a summertime appetizer to keep in your back pocket? Air Fryer Zucchini Chips Recipe. A quick 20 minutes to make, and you'll have the perfect snack or side for your summertime meals.
Meet your new favorite summer zucchini recipe: Air Fryer Zucchini! They're super CRISPY, perfectly seasoned and so easy to make! This recipe features sliced zucchini breaded in a crispy-crunchy Panko mixture. Every bite comes packed with flavor thanks to fresh Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning! Which dip would you choose: marinara, ranch or aioli? If you don’t have an air fryer no worries, you can also make these in the oven. This Air Fryer Zucchini Parmesan Bites is made with panko crumbs, old bay seasoning, parmesan, olive oil and air fried to perfection.
- Why you will love this recipe
- Air Fryer Zucchini Ingredients
- How to Air Fry Zucchini
- Will squash cook the same way?
- What to serve with Air Fryer Zucchini
- Air Fryer Zucchini Recipe Variations
- How to Store Air Fryer Zucchini
- Air Fryer Zucchini Recipe Top tips
- Air Fryer Zucchini Recipe
- Food safety
Why you will love this recipe
- Crispy Texture: The air fryer creates a crispy and golden exterior on the zucchini bites, providing a satisfying crunch that contrasts with the tender interior.
- Healthier Option: Air frying requires less oil compared to traditional frying methods, making zucchini parmesan bites a healthier alternative to deep-fried snacks.
- Flavorful Parmesan Coating: The combination of zucchini and Parmesan cheese brings a delicious flavor profile. The cheese adds a savory, umami-rich taste that complements the mildness of zucchini.
- Ease of Preparation: Air fryer recipes, including zucchini parmesan bites, are often quick and easy to prepare. This makes them a convenient choice for a tasty snack or appetizer.
- Versatility: Zucchini can easily absorb flavors, making it a versatile ingredient. The addition of Parmesan enhances the taste, making it appealing to a wide range of palates.
Air Fryer Zucchini Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Panko Crumbs
- Olive oil
See recipe card for Air Fryer Zucchini Parmesan Bites quantities.
How to Air Fry Zucchini
In a small bowl, add the panko crumbs, old bay, parmesan and mix.
Slice the zucchini into very thin circles. Spray the sliced zucchini with olive oil spray on both sides. Dip into the panko crumbs. Repeat with the rest.
Add the zucchini in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees for a total of 10 minutes, flipping once halfway.
Will squash cook the same way?
Yes, squash can generally be cooked in a similar way to zucchini, including using an air fryer. Both zucchini and various types of squash belong to the same family of vegetables and have similar textures when cooked.
- Preparation: Slice the squash into uniform pieces to ensure even cooking. You can choose to cut it into rounds, sticks, or any other shape based on your preference.
- Seasoning: Like zucchini, squash is versatile and can be seasoned with various herbs, spices, or Parmesan cheese to add flavor.
- Oil: Lightly coat the squash with oil to help achieve a crispy exterior during air frying. An oil spray can be particularly useful for even distribution.
- Temperature and Time: Air fry the squash at a temperature around 375°F (190°C) and check for doneness periodically. Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the squash slices.
What to serve with Air Fryer Zucchini
- Dipping Sauce: Prepare a tangy tzatziki with cucumber, yogurt, garlic, and dill for a refreshing contrast to the crispy zucchini.
- Protein: Serve grilled shrimp seasoned with lemon and herbs to complement the light and crispy zucchini.
- Grains: Pair the air-fried zucchini with quinoa, a nutritious and protein-rich grain that adds a satisfying element to the meal.
- Salad: Create a simple caprese salad with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil to provide a fresh and vibrant side to the zucchini.
- Vegetables: Roast bell peppers and cherry tomatoes to create a colorful and flavorful vegetable medley alongside the air-fried zucchini.
- Dip: Offer a classic hummus for dipping, adding a rich and savory element to the zucchini.
- Bread: Serve warm and crusty garlic bread, a perfect accompaniment to the crunchy texture of air-fried zucchini.
Zucchini: Zucchinis are perfect for this. There are other vegetables that would be just as tasty. Feel free to try this with yellow squash or eggplant slices.
Panko Crumbs: If you don’t have panko crumbs, you can always use bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, crushed pretzels, crushed cornflakes or crushed potatoes chips. You can get as creative as you want and I’m use all of those will taste just as good.
Old Bay Seasoning: You can buy Old bay in the seasoning aisle of your grocery store. If you cannot find any, feel free to use equal parts celery salt and paprika to create your own old bay seasoning.
Parmesan: I love adding parmesan to give the crust a burst of flavor. You can use grated asiago or pecorino romano.
Air Fryer Zucchini Recipe Variations
- Parmesan Crusted Zucchini: Coat zucchini slices with olive oil, seasonings, and grated Parmesan for a crispy and cheesy exterior.
- Zucchini Fries: Cut zucchini into strips, coat with breadcrumbs and seasonings, then air fry for crunchy zucchini fries.
- Garlic and Herb Zucchini Chips: Toss zucchini slices in olive oil, minced garlic, and dried herbs for flavorful, chip-like snacks.
- Spicy Zucchini Rounds: Toss zucchini rounds in a mix of chili powder, cayenne, and paprika for a kick of heat.
- Lemon Pepper Zucchini Sticks: Season zucchini sticks with lemon pepper for a zesty, citrusy flavor.
- Balsamic Glazed Zucchini: Drizzle zucchini slices with balsamic glaze before air frying for a sweet and tangy twist.
Check out this Cauliflower Wings Air Fryer.
- Air Fryer: The main appliance for air-frying zucchini, utilizing hot air circulation to achieve a crispy texture with minimal oil. I used my Instant Pot with the air frying feature but I hear the Ninja Air fryer works well too.
- Knife: Essential for cutting the zucchini into the desired shape before air frying.
- Cutting Board: Provides a stable surface for chopping and preparing the zucchini.
- Bowl: Used for tossing the zucchini with oil and seasonings before placing them in the air fryer.
How to Store Air Fryer Zucchini
- Refrigeration: Store air fryer zucchini in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days to maintain freshness.
- Freezing: For longer storage, freeze air-fried zucchini by placing it in a single layer on a baking sheet until solid, then transferring to a freezer bag.
- Reheating: When ready to enjoy, reheat refrigerated or frozen zucchini in the air fryer for a few minutes until it reaches the desired temperature and crispiness.
Air Fryer Zucchini Recipe Top tips
- Uniform Slicing: Ensure consistent thickness when slicing zucchini to promote even cooking in the air fryer.
- Pat Dry: Before air frying, pat the zucchini slices dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and enhance crispiness.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Allow the air fryer to preheat before adding the zucchini to ensure it cooks evenly and achieves a crispy texture.
- Single Layer Placement: Arrange zucchini slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket to avoid overcrowding, allowing proper air circulation for even cooking.
- Lightly Oil: Use a light coating of oil on the zucchini to promote browning and prevent sticking. Consider using an oil spray for even distribution.
- Shake or Flip: Midway through the cooking process, shake the air fryer basket or flip the zucchini slices for uniform crispiness on all sides.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep a close eye on the zucchini to prevent overcooking. Cooking times may vary based on the air fryer model and zucchini thickness.
- Experiment with Seasonings: Customize the flavor by experimenting with various seasonings such as garlic powder, paprika, or herbs to suit your taste preferences.
- Serve Immediately: For the best texture, serve air-fried zucchini immediately to enjoy its crispy exterior.
- Reheat Strategically: If reheating, use the air fryer for a few minutes to restore crispiness rather than using a microwave.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove