This Air Fry Chicken Cutlets dish is made with thin chicken cutlets, bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, fennel seeds, and garlic powder.
This is Nan's Sicilian father's special recipe. In Sicily, fennel seeds are widely used in their recipes. This breaded chicken contains fennel seeds and of course, parsley. These cutlets will always be a crowd pleaser and your kids will love them. It is extremely family friendly and easy to make. If you want to make your life easier, you could always buy thin cut chicken.
What you will need:
Chicken: For this recipe, you buy thick chicken and tenderize them yourself. If you want to make your life easier, buy thin-cut chicken to skip this step.
Parsley: I love using fresh parsley for this recipe. It gives it a nice kick.
Breadcrumbs: I used Italian bread crumbs although panko bread crumbs works as well.
Fennel Seeds: This is the key ingredient to making a Sicilian-like chicken cutlet. It is absolutely phenomenal!
How to make Air Fry Chicken Cutlets
- Cut the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise, making roughly 8 equal pieces. Place a piece of chicken on parchment paper and wrap the paper around the chicken. With a meat mallet or a heavy spatula, smack the chicken down in the middle, working your way toward the edges, until you get a very thin piece of chicken. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk. In another bowl, add the bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, fennel seeds, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Dip a piece of chicken into the eggs and then the bread crumbs on both sides. Place in a clean plate. Repeat with the rest.
- Air fry at 400°F for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway. You may need to do this in batches.
- Garnish with extra parsley.
- Alternatively, you can do fry the chicken in a pan. In a deep large pan, place olive oil and heat up to medium-low heat. Wait until the oil is hot and place the chicken into the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides, until brown. Transfer to a wire rack and repeat with the rest.