These Keto Hush Puppies Recipe are made with almond flour, coconut flour, jalapeños, eggs and are fried in oil.
If you've been missing the crispy, golden goodness of hush puppies while following a low-carb or ketogenic diet, we have fantastic news for you. Say hello to our mouthwatering Keto Hush Puppies recipe! We understand that sticking to a keto lifestyle doesn't mean you have to sacrifice flavor or indulge in boring meals. That's why we've crafted a recipe that captures the essence of traditional hush puppies while keeping it low-carb and keto-friendly. These little bites of heaven are packed with irresistible flavors and a satisfying crunch that will make you forget they're entirely guilt-free.
When I made these Keto Hush Puppies, I was shocked at how good they tasted. If you happen to be on a Keto diet, almond flour is your best friend. These hushpuppies are so versatile, tasty, and packed with protein. Make sure to start heating up the oil as you are prepping as it always takes very long to warm up. When you finish making them, you will want to serve immediately. Southern food reminds me of my time living in Texas. I lived in San Antonio, Texas for 5 years and nothing tasted better than good southern food.
These Keto Jalapeño Hushpuppies are the real deal and only take about 20 minutes to make. If you want to indulge but not eat carbs, I highly recommend making these.
- What are Hush puppies?
- Why you will love these Keto Hush Puppies Recipe
- Keto Hush Puppies Recipe Ingredients
- How to make Keto Hush Puppies
- What to serve with Keto Hush Puppies
- Keto Hush Puppies Recipe Variations
- How to store Keto Hush Puppies
- Keto Hush Puppies Recipe Top tips
- Keto Hush Puppies Recipe
- Food safety
What are Hush puppies?
Hush puppies are a popular Southern American food that originated in the Southern United States. They are small, deep-fried balls or fritters made from a cornmeal-based batter. Hush puppies are typically served as a side dish or appetizer and are known for their crispy exterior and soft, flavorful interior.
The name "hush puppies" is believed to have originated from the practice of using them to "hush" or quiet barking dogs. As the story goes, when people were cooking fish or other meals outdoors, they would fry small balls of cornmeal batter and toss them to the dogs, saying, "Hush, puppies!" to keep them quiet and prevent them from begging for food.
Why you will love these Keto Hush Puppies Recipe
- Low-Carb: These hush puppies are specifically designed to be keto-friendly, making them suitable for those following a low-carb or ketogenic diet. They use almond flour and coconut flour instead of traditional wheat flour, reducing the carbohydrate content while providing a delicious texture.
- Flavorful and Spicy: The addition of finely chopped jalapenos gives these hush puppies a delightful kick of heat and flavor. If you enjoy a bit of spice, these hush puppies will satisfy your taste buds.
- Easy to Make: This recipe is relatively simple and doesn't require any complicated techniques. With just a few ingredients and basic cooking skills, you can whip up a batch of these hush puppies in no time.
- Versatile: These keto hush puppies can be served as a side dish or appetizer. They pair well with various dishes, including grilled meats, seafood, or even as part of a keto-friendly brunch spread.
Keto Hush Puppies Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Vegetable oil
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Whipping cream
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Keto Hush Puppies
Attach a candy thermometer to a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot, then pour 3 inches of oil and set over medium high heat. Heat the oil to 375°F.
In amedium-sized bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, jalapeños, whipping cream and finally, the beaten egg. Do not overmix.
Drop a tablespoon size ball of batter into the oil. Fry for 3 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to flip and fry for another 3 minutes, until golden brown on all sides.
Use slotted spoon to remove hushpuppies from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
What to serve with Keto Hush Puppies
- Keto Fried Chicken: Combine the crunchy texture of keto hush puppies with some crispy and flavorful keto fried chicken for a classic Southern-inspired combo. The combination of the two creates a mouthwatering meal.
- Grilled Meats or Seafood: Serve your keto hush puppies alongside grilled meats like steak, chicken, or pork chops, or pair them with grilled seafood like shrimp or salmon. The hush puppies add a delightful contrast of texture and flavor to the grilled protein.
- Keto-Friendly Dips: Pair your hush puppies with keto-friendly dipping sauces like ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, or chipotle mayo. These dips add a creamy and flavorful element to the hush puppies.
- Keto Side Salads: Serve your hush puppies alongside a fresh keto side salad. Choose low-carb greens like mixed greens, spinach, or arugula, and add toppings such as cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, avocado, and a keto-friendly dressing.
- Vegetable Oil: You can replace vegetable oil with other keto-friendly oils such as avocado oil, coconut oil, or ghee. These oils can withstand high heat and are suitable for frying.
- Almond Flour: If you need a substitution for almond flour, you can try using other nut flours like hazelnut flour, cashew flour, or sunflower seed flour. Keep in mind that different nut flours may have slightly different textures and flavors, so adjust accordingly.
- Coconut Flour: If you want to replace coconut flour, you can use a combination of almond flour and a small amount of psyllium husk powder or ground flaxseed. Start with a 3:1 ratio of almond flour to psyllium husk powder or flaxseed and adjust as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Baking Powder: To substitute baking powder, you can use a combination of cream of tartar and baking soda. For every teaspoon of baking powder, combine ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Salt: Salt is essential for flavoring, but you can experiment with different keto-friendly seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or herbs like dried parsley or oregano to add flavor to the hush puppies.
- Jalapeños: If you prefer a milder flavor or don't have jalapeños on hand, you can replace them with other low-carb vegetables like finely diced bell peppers or green chilies. Adjust the amount based on your spice preference.
- Whipping Cream: Substitute heavy whipping cream with full-fat coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk if you prefer a dairy-free option. The texture and flavor may vary slightly, but it should still work well in the recipe.
- Egg: If you need an egg substitute, you can try using flax eggs or chia eggs. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for a few minutes to thicken. For a chia egg, use the same ratio of chia seeds to water.
Keto Hush Puppies Recipe Variations
- Cheesy Hush Puppies: Add shredded cheddar cheese or your favorite keto-friendly cheese to the batter for an extra cheesy and flavorful twist. The cheese will melt and create pockets of gooey goodness within the hush puppies.
- Bacon Jalapeño Hush Puppies: Incorporate cooked and crumbled bacon along with the finely chopped jalapeños into the batter. This combination adds a smoky and savory element to the hush puppies, complementing the heat from the jalapeños.
- Herbed Hush Puppies: Mix in dried herbs such as parsley, chives, or thyme into the batter to infuse the hush puppies with aromatic flavors. The herbs provide a fresh and vibrant taste that pairs well with various dishes.
- Spicy Buffalo Hush Puppies: Replace the jalapeños with chopped pickled jalapeños or use a spoonful of buffalo sauce to give the hush puppies a tangy and spicy kick. Serve them with a side of keto-friendly ranch or blue cheese dressing for a true buffalo-inspired treat.
Check out my Keto Marry Me Chicken Recipe.
- Mixing Bowl: A medium-sized mixing bowl to combine the dry and wet ingredients and create the hush puppy batter.
- Whisk or Fork: To whisk the egg and mix the ingredients together, ensuring they are well combined.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: For accurate measurement of the ingredients, including almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and any other additions you might make.
- Deep Saucepan or Dutch Oven: A sturdy and deep saucepan or Dutch oven for frying the hush puppies. Make sure it's large enough to accommodate the hush puppies and has enough space for them to cook evenly.
- Slotted Spoon or Tongs: To carefully remove the hush puppies from the hot oil while frying and to drain any excess oil.
- Paper Towels or Cooling Rack: To place the cooked hush puppies on for draining and cooling. This helps remove any excess oil and prevents them from becoming soggy.
- Thermometer (Optional): A cooking thermometer can be helpful to monitor the oil temperature while frying. Aim for a temperature of around 350°F (175°C) for optimal frying results.
- Stove or Cooktop: To heat the oil and cook the hush puppies.
- Serving Platter: A platter or plate to present and serve the cooked hush puppies.
How to store Keto Hush Puppies
- Allow the Hush Puppies to Cool: Let the hush puppies cool completely at room temperature before storing them. This helps prevent condensation and keeps them from becoming soggy.
- Transfer to an Airtight Container: Place the cooled hush puppies in an airtight container. You can use a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid or a resealable plastic bag.
- Layer with Parchment Paper: If you're storing multiple layers of hush puppies, place a sheet of parchment paper between each layer to prevent them from sticking together.
- Refrigerate or Freeze: Depending on how long you plan to store the hush puppies, you can choose to refrigerate or freeze them.
- Refrigeration: If you intend to consume the hush puppies within a couple of days, refrigeration is a suitable option. They can typically be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezing: If you want to extend the storage time, freezing is a better choice. The hush puppies can be frozen for up to 1-2 months. To freeze, make sure they are well sealed in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.
- Thawing and Reheating: When you're ready to enjoy the stored hush puppies, you can thaw them in the refrigerator overnight if frozen. To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the hush puppies on a baking sheet. Bake them for about 10-15 minutes until they are heated through and crispy.
Keto Hush Puppies Recipe Top tips
- Proper Oil Temperature: Maintain a consistent oil temperature of around 350°F (175°C) while frying the hush puppies. This helps ensure they cook evenly and develop a crispy exterior without becoming greasy. Use a cooking thermometer to monitor the oil temperature.
- Don't Overmix the Batter: When combining the dry and wet ingredients, avoid overmixing the batter. Overmixing can lead to a dense and tough texture in the hush puppies. Stir the batter just until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Adjust the Batter Consistency: Depending on the brand and type of almond flour and coconut flour you use, the batter's consistency may vary. If the batter seems too dry and crumbly, add a little more heavy whipping cream, a tablespoon at a time, until it reaches a thick but pourable consistency.
- Let the Batter Rest: Allowing the batter to rest for a few minutes after mixing gives the coconut flour time to absorb the moisture and thicken the batter. This helps prevent the hush puppies from spreading too much during frying.
- Fry in Batches: Avoid overcrowding the frying pan or Dutch oven. Fry the hush puppies in small batches to ensure they have enough space to cook evenly and achieve a golden brown exterior.
- Drain Excess Oil: After frying, use a slotted spoon or tongs to transfer the cooked hush puppies to a plate lined with paper towels. This helps absorb any excess oil, keeping the hush puppies crispy.
- Serve Immediately: For the best texture and flavor, serve the keto hush puppies immediately after frying. They are at their crispiest and most enjoyable when served hot.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove