This Keto Beef Stroganoff Recipe is made with the most delicious creamy mushroom sauce ever and can be made in under 30 minutes.
Are you following a ketogenic diet and craving a comforting and flavorful meal? Look no further than Keto Beef Stroganoff—a low-carb twist on the classic Russian dish. Bursting with savory flavors, tender beef, and a rich, creamy sauce, this keto-friendly version of Beef Stroganoff will leave you feeling satisfied and nourished while staying true to your dietary goals.
The key to a successful Keto Beef Stroganoff lies in the careful selection of ingredients. We start with lean ground beef as the star of the dish, accompanied by fragrant onions, garlic, and earthy button mushrooms. The creamy sauce owes its luxurious texture to cream cheese and heavy whipping cream, which are combined with beef broth and Worcestershire sauce for a burst of umami flavor. Finally, a dollop of sour cream adds a tangy note that perfectly complements the other elements of this delectable dish.
What is the Keto diet?
The Keto diet, short for ketogenic diet, is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat eating plan that has gained popularity for its potential benefits in weight loss and overall health. The primary goal of the Keto diet is to shift your body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
In a typical diet, carbohydrates are the main source of energy for the body. However, on the Keto diet, you drastically reduce your carbohydrate intake and increase your consumption of healthy fats. This shift in macronutrient ratio forces your body to utilize fat as its primary fuel source instead of carbohydrates.
What is Keto Beef Stroganoff?
Keto Beef Stroganoff is a low-carbohydrate version of the classic Russian dish called Beef Stroganoff. It is a creamy and savory dish typically made with tender beef, onions, mushrooms, and a rich sauce. The Keto version of Beef Stroganoff follows the principles of the ketogenic diet by reducing or eliminating ingredients high in carbohydrates.
The Keto Beef Stroganoff recipe typically involves sautéing the beef, onions, and mushrooms together, then creating the creamy sauce by combining cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. The beef is added back to the skillet, and the dish is finished by stirring in sour cream. The result is a delicious and satisfying Keto-friendly version of Beef Stroganoff.
Keto Beef Stroganoff Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Ground beef
- Button mushroom
- Cream cheese
- Beef broth
- Heavy whipping cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sour cream
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Keto Beef Stroganoff
In a large deep saucepan over medium heat, cook the onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
Cook the ground beef with the garlic and mushrooms, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until meat is brown and the mushroom and onion are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Drain the fat.
Stir in the cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes. Pour in the broth, heavy cream, and Worcestershire sauce and combine. Simmer for another 6 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Serve on mashed cauliflower.
- Ground Beef: Ground beef is commonly used in Beef Stroganoff, but you can also use ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork as a leaner alternative.
- Onions: Onions add flavor and texture to the dish. If you prefer a milder onion flavor, you can use shallots or leeks instead. If you want to reduce the carbohydrate content further, you can use diced celery or chopped fennel bulb as a low-carb replacement.
- Garlic: Garlic is a key flavor component in Beef Stroganoff. If you don't have fresh garlic, you can use garlic powder or granulated garlic as a substitute. Adjust the quantity to taste, as powdered forms of garlic are more concentrated in flavor.
- Button Mushroom: Button mushrooms are commonly used, but you can use other types of mushrooms as well. Cremini mushrooms or sliced portobello mushrooms can add depth of flavor. You can even mix different mushroom varieties for a more complex taste.
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese contributes to the creamy texture of the sauce. If you prefer a dairy-free option, you can use coconut cream or cashew cream as a substitute. Make sure to adjust the seasoning and consistency as needed.
- Beef Broth: Beef broth provides a rich and savory flavor to the sauce. If you don't have beef broth on hand, you can use vegetable broth or chicken broth as a substitute. Keep in mind that the flavor profile may be slightly different, but it will still work well.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Heavy whipping cream adds richness to the sauce. For a dairy-free option, you can use full-fat coconut milk or almond milk instead. Be aware that the flavor and consistency may vary slightly.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Worcestershire sauce provides a tangy and savory element to the dish. If you don't have Worcestershire sauce or prefer a substitute, you can use tamari or coconut aminos, which are soy sauce alternatives. Adjust the quantity to taste.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds tanginess and creaminess to the sauce. If you don't have sour cream, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt as a substitute. These alternatives will provide a similar tangy flavor and creamy texture.
Keto Beef Stroganoff Recipe Variations
- Vegetable Variations: Enhance the nutritional profile of your Keto Beef Stroganoff by incorporating additional vegetables. You can add diced bell peppers, spinach, or kale during the cooking process to increase the fiber and nutrient content.
- Seasoning Options: Experiment with different seasonings to add depth of flavor. Consider adding dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or parsley. You can also add a dash of paprika, smoked paprika, or cayenne pepper for a hint of spice.
- Cheese Additions: To add an extra layer of richness and flavor, consider incorporating shredded cheese into your sauce. Cheddar, Parmesan, or Gruyere cheese can all work well. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the cooked beef and vegetables and let it melt before adding the sauce ingredients.
- Mushroom Medley: Instead of using only button mushrooms, try using a combination of different mushroom varieties for a more complex flavor. Shiitake, oyster, or portobello mushrooms can add a unique taste to your dish.
- Nutritional Yeast: If you're looking for a dairy-free option to enhance the cheesy flavor, try adding nutritional yeast to the sauce. It adds a savory, nutty flavor and is often used as a vegan cheese substitute.
- Zucchini Noodles: While traditional stroganoff is served with egg noodles, you can replace them with zucchini noodles (zoodles) for a low-carb option. Spiralize fresh zucchini or use store-bought zucchini noodles, and lightly sauté them before serving.
- Cauliflower Rice: Instead of serving your Beef Stroganoff over noodles or zoodles, try serving it over cauliflower rice. Simply pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor until they resemble rice grains, then cook them in a skillet until tender.
- Garnish Options: Add extra freshness and visual appeal by garnishing your dish. Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley or chives over the finished Beef Stroganoff for a pop of color. You can also add a dollop of sour cream on top or sprinkle with a pinch of paprika.
Check out these Keto Jalapeño Hushpuppies.
- Skillet or Saute Pan: A skillet or saute pan is essential for cooking the ground beef, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Choose a pan that is large enough to accommodate all the ingredients without overcrowding.
- Cutting Board and Knife: You'll need a cutting board and a sharp knife to chop the onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon: A spatula or wooden spoon will be useful for stirring and breaking up the ground beef as it cooks.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: To ensure accurate measurements of ingredients such as beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream, have a set of measuring cups and spoons on hand.
- Whisk or Fork: A whisk or fork will be needed to blend the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream together, ensuring a smooth sauce.
- Serving Dish or Plates: Prepare a serving dish or individual plates for serving the Keto Beef Stroganoff.
- Optional: If you're planning to serve the dish over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles, you might need a food processor or spiralizer to prepare those components. Additionally, having a grater or microplane can be useful for grating cheese if you decide to incorporate it into the dish.
How to store Keto Beef Stroganoff
To properly store Keto Beef Stroganoff, follow these guidelines:
- Cool the Stroganoff: Allow the cooked Keto Beef Stroganoff to cool down to room temperature before storing it. This helps prevent condensation and maintains the quality of the dish.
- Portion into Containers: Divide the Beef Stroganoff into individual serving-sized airtight containers or storage bags. This allows for easy portioning and reduces the risk of bacterial growth.
- Refrigeration: Place the containers in the refrigerator and ensure they are tightly sealed. Keto Beef Stroganoff can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezing: If you want to store the Keto Beef Stroganoff for longer periods, you can freeze it. Transfer the cooled Stroganoff to freezer-safe containers or freezer bags, making sure to remove any excess air. Label the containers with the date for easy reference.
- Thawing and Reheating: When you're ready to enjoy the stored Keto Beef Stroganoff, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight if frozen. Reheat the Stroganoff on the stove top over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally until it is heated through. You may need to add a splash of beef broth or heavy cream to restore the sauce's consistency.
Keto Beef Stroganoff Recipe Top tips
- Use Lean Ground Beef: Opt for lean ground beef to reduce the fat content of the dish. Look for ground beef with a lower fat percentage, such as 90% lean or higher.
- Sauté Mushrooms Separately: For enhanced flavor and texture, sauté the mushrooms separately before adding them to the beef mixture. This helps ensure they cook evenly and develop a nice golden color.
- Don't Overcook the Beef: Ground beef cooks relatively quickly, so be cautious not to overcook it. Cook the beef just until it's browned and no longer pink. Overcooking can result in a drier texture.
- Adjust Sauce Consistency: If you prefer a thicker sauce, simmer the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and heavy whipping cream mixture for a few minutes to reduce and thicken it. Alternatively, if you want a thinner sauce, add a splash of beef broth or heavy cream to achieve the desired consistency.
- Season Well: Don't skimp on the seasoning. Ensure you generously season the ground beef, mushrooms, and sauce with salt, pepper, and any other preferred herbs and spices. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Let Flavors Meld: After combining all the ingredients, allow the flavors to meld together by simmering the Stroganoff on low heat for a few minutes. This helps the flavors combine and develop a richer taste.
- Add Sour Cream Last: Stir in the sour cream towards the end of the cooking process, just before serving. This helps maintain its creamy consistency and prevents it from curdling when exposed to high heat.
- Garnish Freshly: Sprinkle freshly chopped parsley or chives over the plated Keto Beef Stroganoff just before serving. This adds a fresh pop of color and a hint of freshness.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove