This Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe is made with brussels sprouts, lemon, olive oil, red pepper flakes, parmesan and Dijon mustard. You can make this in the oven or the air fryer.
These brussels sprouts are a super healthy dish that can be a main dish or a side. Brussels sprouts contain so many good vitamins and minerals. To be honest, the only way I can enjoy brussels sprouts is only if they are lightly charred and crispy. The combination of the mustard, parmesan and lemon is amazing.
Brussels Sprouts can be a hit or miss, as there is nothing worse than soggy brussels sprouts. Brussel sprouts can have a bitter taste so it’s up to you to get rid of that bitterness by the way you cook it. I usually make roasted brussels sprouts in the oven since I liked them crispy and not mushy.
This is an amazing weeknight meal and goes well with almost every dish. You won't regret making these delicious brussels sprouts. If you love this recipe, feel free to try my Air Fried Bok Choy or you can pair these brussels sprouts with my Baked Flounder Florentine.
- What are Dijon Brussel Sprouts?
- Why you will love this recipe
- Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe Ingredients
- How to make Dijon Brussel Sprouts
- What to serve with Dijon Brussel Sprouts
- Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe Variations
- How to store Dijon Brussel Sprouts
- Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe Top tips
- Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- Food safety
What are Dijon Brussel Sprouts?
Dijon Brussels Sprouts are a delicious and flavorful side dish featuring Brussels sprouts cooked with a tangy and creamy Dijon mustard-based sauce. Brussels sprouts are small, leafy green vegetables that resemble mini cabbages. When prepared properly, they can have a tender texture and a slightly sweet, nutty flavor.
The combination of the slightly bitter Brussels sprouts with the bold and zesty Dijon mustard sauce creates a harmonious balance of flavors. The sauce enhances the natural taste of the Brussels sprouts while adding a delightful kick. Dijon Brussels Sprouts can be served as a side dish alongside various meals, such as roasted chicken, grilled steak, or even as part of a vegetarian or vegan spread.
Why you will love this recipe
Versatile: You can use any variation of the ingredients on here. If you prefer more parmesan cheese, add more. If you do not like spicy, omit the red pepper flakes.
Full of flavor: The mustard, lemon and parmesan cheese combination make these brussels sprouts so flavorful.
Great for warm weather: I love eating these on a summer day and it pairs nicely with most main dishes.
Serves a crowd: It is easy to double this recipe, especially in the oven. Use two baking sheets to make a big batch.
Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Brussels sprouts
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Dijon Brussel Sprouts
In a large bowl, add the halved brussels sprouts. Drizzle with olive oil and add the red pepper flakes, garlic, lemon juice and zest, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
Place the coated brussels sprouts in the air fryer basket or baking sheet. See recipe card below for cooking options. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
Hint: See below for options to either air fry or bake.
What to serve with Dijon Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Chicken: The earthy and tangy flavors of Dijon Brussels Sprouts pair well with roasted chicken. Serve them alongside a perfectly roasted chicken for a comforting and balanced meal.
- Grilled Steak: The bold flavors of Dijon Brussels Sprouts can stand up to the richness of a grilled steak. Serve them as a side dish alongside a perfectly cooked steak for a satisfying combination.
- Baked Salmon: The creamy Dijon mustard sauce complements the delicate flavors of baked salmon. Serve Dijon Brussels Sprouts as a side dish to add a zesty and flavorful element to the meal.
- Herb-Roasted Pork Tenderloin: The combination of tender pork and tangy Dijon Brussels Sprouts creates a harmonious and delicious pairing. The flavors complement each other and create a satisfying meal.
- Vegetable Stir-Fry: Create a vibrant and colorful vegetable stir-fry and add Dijon Brussels Sprouts to the mix. The tangy sauce adds an extra layer of flavor to the stir-fried vegetables, creating a well-rounded and tasty dish.
Oil: I like using olive oil for a lighter dish, but you can use butter instead if you want.
Red pepper flakes: Feel free to include if you like spicy food, or omit if you dont.
Garlic: I love using freshly minced garlic for this recipe, as it gives it to much flavor. You could use finely diced onion instead too.
Lemon: Use lemon juice from a real lemon instead of that store bought lemon juice. You could even use lime juice if you prefer.
Dijon mustard: I like dijon mustard because it is lees powerful than regular mustard. You could use honey mustard instead as well.
Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe Variations
- Balsamic Glaze: Add depth and sweetness to the dish by drizzling balsamic glaze over the roasted Brussels sprouts. The combination of tangy Dijon mustard and sweet balsamic glaze creates a delightful flavor contrast.
- Bacon Bits: For an added layer of smokiness and richness, sprinkle crispy bacon bits over the Dijon Brussels Sprouts. The savory bacon complements the tangy sauce and adds a delicious crunch.
- Parmesan Cheese: After tossing the roasted Brussels sprouts with the Dijon mustard sauce, sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the top. The nutty and salty flavor of Parmesan enhances the overall taste of the dish.
- Lemon Zest: Add a bright and citrusy element by incorporating freshly grated lemon zest into the Dijon mustard sauce. The zest adds a refreshing twist and balances the richness of the sauce.
- Honey or Maple Syrup: For a touch of sweetness, whisk in a small amount of honey or maple syrup into the Dijon mustard sauce. The sweet notes complement the tangy flavor and create a more balanced taste profile.
- Red Pepper Flakes: For a spicy kick, add red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the Dijon mustard sauce. This adds a subtle heat that balances well with the tangy flavors.
Check out this Baby Corn Stir Fry for another vegetarian side dish.
- Air fryer: An air fryer is a countertop kitchen appliance that uses hot air circulation to cook food quickly and evenly. It is the main piece of equipment needed for this recipe. I love using my Instant Pot Air Fryer for this recipe, but I have heard the Ninja Air Fryer is great too!
- Mixing bowl: A medium-sized mixing bowl is essential for tossing the Brussels sprouts with the Dijon mustard sauce before air frying.
- Whisk or fork: Use a whisk or fork to mix the ingredients of the Dijon mustard sauce together in the mixing bowl.
- Measuring spoons: Measuring spoons are necessary to accurately measure the quantities of the ingredients used in the Dijon mustard sauce.
- Cutting board: A sturdy cutting board provides a safe and stable surface for trimming the Brussels sprouts and cutting them in half if desired.
- Chef's knife: A sharp chef's knife is needed for trimming the Brussels sprouts and cutting them into halves or quarters, depending on your preference.
- Air fryer basket or tray: The air fryer basket or tray is where the Brussels sprouts will be placed for cooking. Make sure it fits in your air fryer and can accommodate the quantity of Brussels sprouts you are using.
- Tongs or spatula: Tongs or a spatula will be useful for flipping and stirring the Brussels sprouts halfway through the cooking process.
- Serving dish: Once the Dijon Brussels Sprouts are cooked and ready, transfer them to a serving dish or plate for presentation.
How to store Dijon Brussel Sprouts
- Cool the Brussels sprouts: Allow the cooked Dijon Brussels Sprouts to cool down to room temperature before storing them. This prevents condensation and helps maintain their texture.
- Transfer to an airtight container: Place the cooled Brussels sprouts in an airtight container. Make sure the container is of an appropriate size to avoid excessive empty space, which can lead to faster deterioration.
- Store in the refrigerator: Refrigerate the container with the Dijon Brussels Sprouts. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. This is the recommended duration for maintaining their quality and freshness.
- Separate sauce and sprouts (optional): If you prefer, you can store the Dijon mustard sauce separately from the Brussels sprouts. This prevents the sauce from making the sprouts soggy. Store the sauce in a separate airtight container and drizzle it over the reheated sprouts when serving.
- Label and date: Label the container or containers with the date of storage. This helps you keep track of their freshness and ensures they are consumed within a reasonable time.
- Reheating: To reheat the Dijon Brussels Sprouts, you can use a microwave, stovetop, or oven. Gently heat them until warmed through, being careful not to overcook. The sprouts should be tender but not mushy.
- Enjoy promptly: It's best to consume the stored Dijon Brussels Sprouts within a few days for the best taste and texture. Avoid storing them for an extended period as their quality may decline.
Dijon Brussel Sprouts Recipe Top tips
- Choose fresh Brussels sprouts: Look for fresh Brussels sprouts with tightly closed buds and vibrant green color. Avoid any that have yellowing leaves or a strong, unpleasant odor.
- Trim and halve the Brussels sprouts evenly: Trim the tough ends of the Brussels sprouts and remove any outer leaves that are discolored or wilted. If the sprouts are large, halve them for more even cooking. This helps ensure that they cook uniformly and prevents some from being overcooked while others are undercooked.
- Coat the Brussels sprouts evenly: Toss the trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts in the Dijon mustard sauce until they are thoroughly coated. This ensures that each sprout is flavored and seasoned evenly.
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheat your air fryer before adding the Brussels sprouts. This helps create a crispy texture and reduces overall cooking time.
- Shake or flip halfway through cooking: Shake or flip the Brussels sprouts halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning and crispy edges. This helps achieve a consistent texture and prevents any sprouts from becoming too charred.
- Adjust cooking time and temperature: Cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer model, the size of the Brussels sprouts, and personal preference. Keep an eye on them and adjust the cooking time and temperature as needed to achieve your desired level of crispiness.
- Test for doneness: To check if the Brussels sprouts are cooked to your liking, insert a fork or skewer into one of the sprouts. It should go through easily, indicating that they are tender and cooked through.
- Customize the flavors: Feel free to experiment with different seasonings and additions to the Dijon mustard sauce. Add herbs like thyme or rosemary, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese, or incorporate toasted nuts for extra flavor and texture.
- Serve immediately: Dijon Brussels Sprouts are best served immediately after cooking to enjoy their crispy texture and vibrant flavors. However, if you need to store leftovers, follow the proper storage guidelines mentioned earlier.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove