These Carne Asada Street Tacos Recipe is made with marinated skirt of flank or skirt steak, served on a tortilla and topped with onion and cilantro.
This Carne Asada dish is marinated in olive oil, soy sauce, onion, jalapeños, and so many spices. Top with salsa verde, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.
It is important to use quality skirt steak. We actually made these tacos from leftover carne asada we had the day before. They taste almost better the next day. I had some salsa verde in the fridge and tortillas. You can buy store-bought tortillas or try making my Vegan Flour Tortillas. If you have a gas stovetop, I like to place the tortillas directly on the burner and warm them there so give them a nice char.
Marinating can feel like a pain to wait for, but if you start this the night before, it will be totally worth your time. Trust me, this carne asada is super flavorful and tender. The biggest challenge will be keeping yourself from eating all the steak while you are cooking it!
How to make Carne Asada
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Red onion
- Onion powder
- Skirt steak usually comes in a long strip. Cut the steak into 2-3 pieces to allow them to fit better in the pan.
- Add the olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, jalapeno, red onion, lime juice, orange juice, garlic, cumin, onion powder, oregano, cilantro and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and stir well. Add the skirt steak and mix with your hand. Refrigerate and marinate for 2-4 hours. The longer the better – you can even do overnight! Alternatively, you can use a large Ziplock bag.
- Before searing the steak, dry it with paper towel – keep the marinade. Heat a large cast iron over high heat for 3 minutes. Once hot, add a bit of pan or olive oil. Add the steak and press down firmly on the surface. Sear for 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat and add ½ cup of the marinade and cook for 2-4 minutes longer. You want an internal temperature of 130 F. Work in two batches if needed.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice them into ½ inch slices. Transfer to a serving place.
How to make Carne Asada Street Tacos Recipe
Warm the tortillas according to package instructions. I usually do this on the stovetop and warm up for about 2 minutes on each side. Make sure to flip with a spatula or tongs. When the tortillas are warm, assemble the tacos. Add the cut up carne asada, top with salsa verde, garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Best way to warm a tortilla
- Over a Gas Stove Flame – I love to use this method because it gives the tortilla a light char and it warms up quickly. Toast the tortilla directly over a low flame on a gas stove. Use tongs to rotate the tortilla, about every 20 seconds. Keep close watch as you toast the tortilla.
- On a Cast Iron- Heat a large cast iron over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in a single layer and toast 20 seconds on each side until warm on each side.
Carne Asada Street Tacos Recipe
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
These Carne Asada Street Tacos Recipe is made with marinated skirt of flank steak, served on a tortilla and topped with onion and cilantro.
- 1 ½ - 2 pounds of Carne Asada, cut into thin pieces
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 10 – 15 tortillas corn tortillas
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Warm the tortillas according to package instructions. I usually do this on the stovetop and warm up for about 2 minutes on each side. Make sure to flip with a spatula or tongs. When the tortillas are warm, assemble the tacos.
- Add the cut up carne asada, top with salsa verde, garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 827
- Sugar: 6.1 g
- Sodium: 2484 mg
- Fat: 44.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 20.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 58.6 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 47.5 g
- Cholesterol: 136 mg
Leave a Reply