This Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe is made with frozen spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and pepper jack cheese.
I love ordering spinach artichoke dip on the menu of a restaurant. I have to get it! If you plan on having guests over and need to make a dip, you won’t strike out with this one! This appetizer is by far such a crowd pleaser – last time I made it everyone was crowding around my dip.
This dip uses frozen spinach, marinated artichokes, parmesan and pepper jack, all baked to perfection. You can never go wrong with adding another type of cheese too!
- What is Spinach and Artichoke Dip and where did it come from?
- Why you will love Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Ingredients
- How to make Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
- What to dip into Spinach and Artichoke Dip?
- Can I eat Spinach and Artichoke Dip cold or warm?
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe Variations
- How to store Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe Top tips
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
What is Spinach and Artichoke Dip and where did it come from?
Spinach and artichoke dip is a creamy and cheesy dip made with cooked spinach, chopped artichoke hearts, cream cheese, sour cream, and various seasonings. It is typically served as an appetizer or party dip with various dippers like tortilla chips, pita bread, crackers, and vegetables.
The origins of spinach and artichoke dip are unclear, but it gained popularity in the United States during the 1980s and 1990s. It is believed to have originated in restaurants in the United States, particularly those that specialize in American and Italian cuisine.
Today, spinach and artichoke dip is a popular party food and can be found on the menu of many restaurants and eateries. It has become a classic American appetizer that is enjoyed by many people.
Why you will love Spinach and Artichoke Dip
There are several reasons why people love spinach and artichoke dip:
- Creamy and delicious: The combination of creamy cheese, tangy sour cream, and savory artichokes and spinach make for a mouth-watering dip that is hard to resist.
- Versatile: Spinach and artichoke dip can be served warm or cold and pairs well with a variety of dippers, making it a versatile appetizer that is suitable for any occasion.
- Easy to make: Spinach and artichoke dip is relatively easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making it a convenient option for parties or gatherings.
- Crowd-pleaser: It is a popular appetizer that is enjoyed by many people, making it a safe choice to serve at any gathering.
- Nutritious: Spinach and artichoke dip contains vegetables like spinach and artichokes, which are high in vitamins and minerals, making it a healthier appetizer option.
Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Frozen Spinach
- Marinated Artichokes
- Cream cheese
- Chili Powder
- Parmesan cheese
- Pepper jack cheese
- Green onion
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
Add the spinach, cream cheese, mayonnaise, chopped artichokes, chili powder, Yondu Vegetable Umami, water and garlic in the Instant Pot and combine.
Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes and quick release. When you unlock the lid and open, add the parmesan and pepper jack cheese.
Whisk until all combined well.
Garnish with green onion. Serve hot with chips or toast.
What to dip into Spinach and Artichoke Dip?
Spinach and artichoke dip can be served with a variety of dippers, depending on your personal preferences. Here are some popular options:
- Tortilla chips: This is one of the most popular options and pairs well with the creamy, cheesy dip.
- Pita bread: Cut pita bread into triangles and toast them until crispy for a delicious dipping option.
- Vegetables: Fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes are a healthier option that pairs well with the dip.
- Crackers: Any type of cracker, such as wheat crackers or butter crackers, can be a good option.
- Breadsticks: Breadsticks are a great option for a more substantial dipper.
- Pretzels: Soft pretzels or small pretzel bites are a delicious and salty option that pairs well with the dip.
Can I eat Spinach and Artichoke Dip cold or warm?
Spinach and artichoke dip can be served either cold or warm, depending on your personal preference.
If you prefer a warm dip, you can make the dip in an oven-safe dish and bake it in the oven until it's hot and bubbly. You can also make it in an Instant Pot or slow cooker and keep it on a warm setting until it's ready to serve.
If you prefer a cold dip, you can chill the dip in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. This can be a refreshing option during the warmer months or for outdoor gatherings.
Ultimately, the choice of serving temperature will depend on your personal taste and the occasion.
Cream cheese: If you wold like a healthier alternative, you can use cottage cheese. The cream cheese really gives it so much flavor though. Cream cheese is the base to any spinach artichoke dip, or any dip in general really. It make it so much tastier and it is super versatile.
Spinach: Since we are making this in the Instant Pot, using frozen spinach is actually better than fresh spinach, because frozen spinach has previously been cooked already. If you are adamant about using fresh spinach, I would steam the spinach and then place the spinach in a paper towel to squeeze the excess water out of it.
Artichoke: I like to use marinated artichokes from a jar, although you can use regular canned artichokes too.
Chili powder: Feel free to use a combination of either chili powder, paprika, or a little bit of cayenne pepper.
Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise is a great addition of flavor for the dip. You can substitute the mayonnaise with sour cream or greek yogurt if you wish.
Parmesan cheese: You can use pecorino romano or asiago instead.
Pepper jack: Any cheese that melts easily will do. You can use mozzarella or even shredded cheddar cheese.
Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe Variations
Spinach artichoke dip is a popular appetizer that can be customized with various ingredients to create different variations. Here are some spinach artichoke dip recipe variations:
- Greek Spinach Artichoke Dip: This variation uses Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, which makes it a healthier option. Feta cheese and dill are also added to give it a Mediterranean flavor.
- Jalapeño Spinach Artichoke Dip: This variation includes jalapeños for some added spice. You can adjust the heat level by adding more or less jalapeños or by leaving out the seeds.
- Spinach Artichoke Dip with Crabmeat: This variation includes crabmeat, which adds a sweet and delicate flavor to the dip. It's perfect for seafood lovers.
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip: This variation is made without any dairy products and is perfect for vegans or those with dairy allergies. It uses vegan cream cheese and vegan mayonnaise as substitutes for the dairy products.
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Stuffed Bread: This variation involves stuffing a loaf of bread with spinach artichoke dip before baking it. This makes for a fun and delicious appetizer that can be pulled apart and shared.
Check out this Camaron Aguachile.
To make spinach and artichoke dip in the Instant Pot, you will need the following equipment:
- Instant Pot: You will need an Instant Pot, which is a multi-functional pressure cooker that can be used for cooking a variety of dishes, including dips.
- Mixing bowl: You will need a mixing bowl to combine the ingredients for the dip.
- Immersion blender (optional): An immersion blender can be used to blend the dip to a smooth and creamy consistency. However, this is optional and you can also use a regular blender or food processor.
- Serving dish: Once the dip is cooked, you will need a serving dish to transfer the dip and serve it to your guests.
How to store Spinach Artichoke Dip
To store spinach artichoke dip, follow these steps:
- Let the dip cool to room temperature before storing. This will help prevent condensation from forming inside the container, which can make the dip watery.
- Transfer the dip to an airtight container. You can use a plastic container with a lid or a resealable plastic bag.
- Place the container in the refrigerator. The dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- When ready to serve again, remove the dip from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. You can also reheat the dip in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe Top tips
Here are some top tips to keep in mind when making spinach artichoke dip in an Instant Pot:
- Drain the artichokes well: It's important to drain the canned artichokes well to remove any excess liquid. This will help prevent the dip from becoming watery.
- Don't overcook the dip: Overcooking the dip can cause it to become dry and rubbery. Be sure to follow the recipe instructions and cook the dip for the recommended time.
- Mix well: Be sure to mix the ingredients well before cooking to ensure that the dip is evenly seasoned.
- Serve with the right dippers: Serve the dip with your favorite dippers, such as tortilla chips, pita bread, or vegetables. The dip is best served warm, so be sure to reheat it before serving if it has been stored in the refrigerator.
By following these tips, you can make a delicious spinach artichoke dip in your Instant Pot that is sure to be a hit at any gathering.Print