These Sausage Skewers Recipe are made with sausage, red onion, limes, skewers and drenched in Sriracha Sauce.
Sausage skewers are a delicious and easy-to-make meal that can be prepared on the grill or in the oven. This dish is perfect for any occasion, whether it's a casual backyard barbecue or a more formal dinner party. Sausage skewers are versatile and can be customized to suit your taste, with endless possibilities for seasoning and accompaniments. Italian sausage, red onion, and lime skewers with a drizzle of Sriracha are a popular combination that can be easily prepared with minimal effort. The combination of juicy sausage, tangy red onion, and zesty lime results in a flavor explosion in your mouth, while the Sriracha adds a spicy kick.
These sausage skewers are sure to be a crowd-pleaser and will leave your guests wanting more. Making sausage and lime skewers is great for when you have people over for a barbecue. All you really need are the three ingredients: onion, lime, and sausage. Using the homemade sauce is completely optional, but totally amazing for maximum flavor. Charring the lime on the grill actually makes the skin edible.
What are Sausage Skewers?
Sausage skewers are a type of grilled or BBQ dish consisting of sausages and vegetables skewered onto metal or wooden skewers and cooked over high heat. The sausages can be any type of sausage, such as Italian sausage, while the vegetables can include peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, or any other vegetables that hold up well on the grill. The skewers are a popular summer food and are often served at backyard barbecues, picnics, and other outdoor gatherings. They can be enjoyed as a main dish or as a side dish.
Why you will love this recipe
- Easy to make: Sausage skewers are a simple yet delicious option that can be quickly put together for a weeknight meal or a backyard barbecue.
- Flavorful: Italian sausages are known for their bold, savory flavors, and when grilled on skewers with red onions, they create a delicious combination of smoky and sweet flavors.
- Versatile: You can customize sausage skewers to your liking by adding your favorite vegetables or marinades.
- Crowd-pleaser: Sausage skewers are a popular dish for parties and gatherings, as they are easy to eat and loved by many.
- Budget-friendly: Sausage skewers are an affordable meal option that can feed a crowd without breaking the bank.
Sausage Skewers Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Italian sausage
- Red onion
See recipe card for Sausage Skewers Appetizers quantities.
How to grill Sausage Skewers
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Cut the sausages into 1-inch pieces. Cut the red onion into chunks roughly the same size as the sausage pieces. Thread the sausage and onion pieces onto skewers, alternating between sausage and onion.
Squeeze the limes over the skewers to add some acidity and flavor. Grill the skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until the sausages are cooked through and the onions are caramelized and tender.
Brush the skewers with Sriracha sauce during the last few minutes of cooking, to add some heat and extra flavor.
Serve the skewers hot, with additional Sriracha sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
Hint: For the sauce, you could use garlic sriracha instead.
What to serve with Sausage Skewers
- Grilled vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant
- Salad, such as a Greek salad or a Caprese salad
- Rice, couscous, or quinoa
- Baked beans or corn on the cob for a classic BBQ side. Check out my Charro Beans.
- Garlic bread or grilled bread
- Salsa or guacamole for dipping
Sausage: I used Premio sausage for this recipe, and combined them to be hot and sweet sausage. You can mix and match anyway you would like.
Limes: I love adding grilled limes because you can take them out and squeeze onto the sausage. It is so delicious.
Chili sauce: I made a homemade chili sauce for this recipe, although if you prefer, you can use the Garlic Chili Sriracha sauce from the grocery store.
Onion: I used red onion, although you can opt to using white or yellow onion if you prefer.
Sausage Skewers Recipe Variations
- Add vegetables: Cut up some bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms and skewer them along with the sausage and red onion. This will add some extra nutrition and flavor to the dish.
- Change the sausage: Try using a different type of sausage, such as spicy or sweet Italian sausage, or even a different type of meat altogether, like chicken or shrimp.
- Use different seasonings: Experiment with different seasonings for the marinade, such as cumin, paprika, or oregano.
- Make it a meal: Serve the skewers with a side salad, some garlic bread, or some roasted potatoes to make it a complete meal.
- Make it a sandwich: Instead of skewering the sausage, cook it whole and serve it on a bun with some caramelized onions and peppers.
- Grill the limes: Cut the limes in half and grill them alongside the skewers. Squeeze the grilled lime juice over the skewers just before serving to add an extra layer of flavor.
Check out this Air Fried Bok Choy for a good side dish.
- Grill: You can use a gas or charcoal grill to cook the sausage skewers.
- Skewers: Use metal or wooden skewers to skewer the sausages and other ingredients. If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent burning.
- Tongs: To flip and turn the skewers on the grill, use long-handled tongs to keep your hands safe from the heat.
- Cutting board and knife: Use a cutting board and knife to chop the red onions into small pieces.
- Bowl: You can use a bowl to mix the sausages, red onions, and lime juice before skewering them.
- Brush: Use a brush to baste the skewers with Sriracha sauce while they are grilling.
How to store Sausage Skewers
After cooking, let the sausage skewers cool down and then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be stored for up to 3-4 days. If you want to store them for a longer time, you can freeze them for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, simply place them in the oven or on the grill until they are heated through.
Sausage Skewers Recipe Top tips
- Soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Choose high-quality Italian sausage for the best flavor.
- Cut the sausages and red onions into similar sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Thread the sausages and red onions onto the skewers, alternating between the two.
- Brush the skewers with olive oil or a marinade before grilling for extra flavor.
- Use tongs to turn the skewers frequently while grilling to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the skewers before serving for a burst of freshness.
- Drizzle with Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce before serving for a spicy kick.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove