This Sausage and Mushroom Casserole is made with Italian sausage, onion, mushrooms, jalapeños, cheese, avocado and sour cream.
This is an indulgent delicious casserole that your kids will absolutely love. It is so quick and easy to make and it is a one pot meal, making it so easy to clean up. The combination of the mushroom, sausage and cheese is to die for. The avocado and sour cream give the dish the best flavors ever. Not to mention the jalapeno gives it a nice spicy kick.
If you like this recipe, you need to try my Sausage and Peppers recipe or my Sausage Skewer Appetizer.
- Olive oil
- Italian sausage
- Red pepper flakes
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Sour Cream
See recipe card for quantities for this Sausage and Mushroom Casserole.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a large cast iron on medium high heat, add the oil and wait for it to shimmer.
Add the sausage and stir with a wooden spoon, breaking it apart into little pieces. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the onion and mushroom and cook with the sausage, stirring frequently, for about 8-10 minutes. Add a tablespoon of the juice from the jalapeno jar and stir well. Turn off the heat.
Add the cheese on top and place the cast iron in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese completely melts and bubbles.
Top with sliced avocado, sour cream, and jalapeños.
Hint: Instead of baking, you can put on low heat and cover until the cheese melts.
Sausage: I love using hot Italian sausage for this, although you can use sweet Italian sausage.
Onion: I used red onion for this recipe, although you can use white or yellow onion. For the toppings, you can even use pickled onion if you have free time. Red pickled onions are an amazing indispensable ingredient to have in your kitchen. I love the bright pink color, and it’s a great addition to most meals, and deliciously crunchy. They go well on sandwiches, tacos, bowls, avocado toast and salads. It serves as an amazing garnish with a great pop of color.
Mushroom: I would use button, baby bella or cremini mushroom to pair well and mix it up with the pancetta. You would even try shiitake mushrooms or finely diced portobello mushroom.
Cooking is a chance to be creative! Have fun with it and feel free to make your own variation.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or banana peppers instead of jalapeños.
- Deluxe - add guacamole or crispy onions.
- Kid friendly - add crushed potato chips (ketchup chips!)
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retain heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
I love using my Caraway pots, pans and baking sheets for best quality. Get yourself a discount by clicking here!
This will be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
These Sausage and Mushroom Casserole ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Just bake long enough until the cheese melts and bubbles so watch closely.Print
Sausage and Mushroom Casserole
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This Sausage and Mushroom Casserole is made with Italian sausage, onion, mushrooms, jalapenos, cheese, avocado and sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, decased
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 8 oz box sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 8 pickled jalapenos and some juice
- ⅓ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large cast iron on medium high heat, add the oil and wait for it to shimmer.
- Add the sausage and stir with a wooden spoon, breaking it apart into little pieces. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and mushroom and cook with the sausage, stirring frequently, for about 8-10 minutes. Add a tablespoon of the juice from the jalapeno jar and stir well. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cheese on top and place the cast iron in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese completely melts and bubbles.
- Top with sliced avocado, sour cream, and jalapenos.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Leave a Reply