This Keto General Tso Chicken is made with chicken thighs, garlic, chili flakes, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.
If you want to make a stir fry but you haven’t made one before, this easy General Tso chicken is a great way to start! It involves cooking the chicken first, removing and then making the sauce. You NEED to give this recipe a try! Take out food can have a ton of food chemicals you do not want to consume. This is a quick stir fry that is super healthy (I also included how to make it keto) which is an amazing alternative to such a delicious dish. This is a one pot dish that is cooked in under 20 minutes. No need for take-out, this dish tastes as good as it gets, and has less GMOs, sugar, and unnecessary oils.
I would try pairing this recipe with a typical wine that is aromatic and fruity, like Riesling. The sweetness of the General Tso dish pairs very well with this family of wines.
- Chicken breast
- Xanthan gum
- Red chili flakes
- Scallions or chives
- Rice Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame seeds
See recipe card for quantities.
- Toss the chicken in the xanthan gum.
- Add the peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, erythritol and xanthan gum in a bowl and whisk.
- Heat up oil in your large skillet.
- Add the chicken and fry until crispy, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Use tongs to flip them around.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and drain all but a tablespoon of the oil and add in the garlic, ginger, scallions, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the chicken and toss for a minute.
- Add in the sauce and keep stirring until it thickens.
- Serve and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds
Hint: Make sure to mix the sauce together before cooking the chicken. Since this cooks fast, the most prep you can do beforehand, the better.
Chicken: Feel free to use chicken thighs or chicken breasts for this recipe.
Xanthan gum: Xanthan gum is a keto thickener, similar to cornstarch. Xanthan gum is a great way to thicken the sauce and make the chicken crispy. You can also use flour or cornstarch.
Vegetable oil: If you don't have any vegetable oil on hand, you can substitute another neutral high-heat oil. Canola, safflower, peanut or grapeseed oils are all great choices.
Erythritol: For the keto version, use erythritol. Feel free to use brown or granulated sugar. You can also use equal parts honey or maple syrup.
Soy Sauce: Instead of soy sauce you can use Tamari, Worcestershire sauce, Miso, Maggi seasoning, Salt, Coconut aminos, or Liquid aminos.
Garlic: For best quality, use fresh garlic instead of garlic from a jar.
Cooking is a chance to be creative! Have fun with it and feel free to make your own variation.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish.
- Deluxe - add guacamole, crispy onions or
- Kid friendly - add the chicken on some noodles or rice.
Check out this SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN for other delicious recipes.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retain heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
I love using my Caraway pots, pans and baking sheets for best quality. Get yourself a discount by clicking here!
This Keto General Tso Chicken will be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Make sure to mix the sauce together before cooking the chicken. Since this cooks fast, the most prep you can do beforehand, the better.Print
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove