This Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries Recipe is made with panko crumbs, flour, parmesan, garlic powder, eggs and air fried to perfection.
These Chicken Fries are a great Burger King copycat recipe. Homemade is always better because you know what you are eating. The air fryer is such a great tool to use, not only because it is healthier than a regular fryer, but it makes these chicken fries so extra crispy. You can always add some heat by adding paprika in the bread crumb mixture, or eat as it is. This recipe is very family friendly, but let’s be honest, adult friendly too!
- What are Chicken Fries?
- Why you will love this recipe
- How to make Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries
- What to serve with Chicken Fries
- Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries Variations
- How to store Air Fryer Chicken Fries
- Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries Recipe Top tips
- Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries Recipe
- Food safety
What are Chicken Fries?
Chicken Fries are a type of fast food menu item offered by the Burger King fast food chain. They are thin strips of chicken that are breaded and fried until crispy, and then served in a container similar to French fries. Chicken Fries were first introduced by Burger King in 2005 as a limited-time item, but due to their popularity, they were added to the permanent menu in 2014. Chicken Fries have since become one of the most popular items on Burger King's menu, and they are often served with a variety of dipping sauces.
Why you will love this recipe
Homemade chicken fries can be great for a number of reasons:
- Freshness: When you make chicken fries at home, you can use fresh chicken and cook it immediately, ensuring that the meat is tender and juicy.
- Customization: You can customize the seasoning and breading of your chicken fries to your liking, adding your favorite spices and ingredients to make them taste exactly the way you want.
- Healthier: Homemade chicken fries can be a healthier option because you can control the amount of oil and salt used in the cooking process. As for this recipe, we will be using an air fryer, which is a much healthier alternative.
- Fun to make: Making chicken fries at home can be a fun and creative activity, especially if you involve your friends or family in the process.
- Cost-effective: Homemade chicken fries can be less expensive than ordering them at a restaurant, especially if you use ingredients you already have at home.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Chicken breast
- Panko crumbs
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries
In a food processor, add the panko crumbs, parmesan, garlic powder and a pinch of salt. Pulse until panko crumbs are small. Cut the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise. Cut chicken slices into slices, resembling fries. Repeat with the rest of the chicken. Add the flour in a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk. In another shallow bowl, add the bread crumb mixture.Toss a piece of chicken in the flour. Then, dip a piece of chicken into the eggs and then toss in the bread crumbs.
Place on a clean plate. Repeat with the rest. Drizzle all the finished chicken with olive oil. Air fry at 350°F for 5 minutes, flipping once halfway. You may need to do this in batches. Dip the chicken fries in your favorite condiment, and enjoy!
What to serve with Chicken Fries
Chicken Fries can be served with a variety of side dishes to create a complete meal.
- Fries: Since Chicken Fries are essentially chicken strips shaped like fries, regular fries can be a great side dish to serve alongside them.
- Salad: A simple green salad can balance out the heaviness of the chicken fries and add some fresh vegetables to the meal.
- Vegetables: Grilled or roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus, or zucchini, can be a healthy and flavorful side dish.
- Dipping sauces: Chicken Fries are often served with dipping sauces, such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, or ranch dressing.
- Coleslaw: Coleslaw can be a refreshing and crunchy side dish that pairs well with the crispiness of the Chicken Fries.
- Onion rings: Onion rings are a popular fast food side dish that can also be a good complement to Chicken Fries.
Chicken: It is best to use chicken breasts for a longer, firmer piece of meat. Chicken thighs could work too although the fries might be a bit shorter.
Flour: If you want to make this keto, feel free to use almond flour. I have tested it and it works perfectly!
Panko Crumbs: I absolutely love using panko crumbs, although you will need to pulse in a food processor to make them smaller. You could also use Italian bread crumbs, which are smaller.
Parmesan: The parmesan adds so much flavor to the chicken fries. I highly recommend!
Garlic powder: I love using garlic powder on ingredients when I am using my air fryer. Onion powder will work too.
Eggs: For best quality, use organic, cage free eggs.
Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries Variations
Air fryers are a popular tool for making crispy and healthier versions of Chicken Fries.
- Spicy Chicken Fries: Add cayenne pepper, chili powder, or hot sauce to the breading mixture for a spicy kick.
- Parmesan Chicken Fries: Mix grated Parmesan cheese into the breading mixture for a cheesy, savory flavor.
- Herb Chicken Fries: Add dried herbs, such as oregano, basil, or thyme, to the breading mixture for a flavorful twist.
- BBQ Chicken Fries: Brush the Chicken Fries with barbecue sauce before air frying for a smoky and tangy flavor.
- Buffalo Chicken Fries: Toss the Chicken Fries in buffalo sauce after air frying for a spicy and zesty flavor.
Check out this Air Fried Bok Choy.
- Air Fryer: An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that uses hot air to cook food, producing crispy and healthier results than traditional frying. It is the main equipment needed for making Air Fryer Chicken Fries.
- Cutting board and knife: You will need a cutting board and a sharp knife to cut the chicken into strips.
- Mixing bowl: You will need a mixing bowl to combine the breadcrumbs, seasonings, and other ingredients for the breading mixture.
- Whisk: A whisk can be used to beat the egg and milk mixture that is used to coat the chicken before adding the breading.
- Tongs: Tongs are useful for handling the chicken strips and placing them in the air fryer basket.
- Cooking spray: Cooking spray is used to coat the chicken strips before placing them in the air fryer to ensure they get crispy.
How to store Air Fryer Chicken Fries
- Refrigerator storage: If you plan to eat the Chicken Fries within a few days, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can last up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Freezer storage: If you want to store the Chicken Fries for longer, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for about an hour, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. This will prevent them from sticking together. Frozen Air Fryer Chicken Fries can last up to 2 months in the freezer.
- Reheating: When you are ready to eat the Chicken Fries, reheat them in the air fryer for 5-7 minutes at 350°F or until they are heated through and crispy again.
- Do not store the dipping sauce together with the chicken fries. Keep them in a separate container or package.
Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Fries Recipe Top tips
- Use chicken tenders or breast: Chicken tenders are easier to cut into strips and are more tender and juicy than chicken breasts. They are also a great size and shape for making Chicken Fries.
- Season the chicken: To add flavor to the chicken, season it with salt and pepper before dipping it in the egg mixture.
- Double coat the chicken: For extra crispy Chicken Fries, double coat the chicken by dipping it in the egg mixture and then the breading mixture, and then repeating the process.
- Use panko breadcrumbs: Panko breadcrumbs are lighter and crispier than regular breadcrumbs, making them perfect for Air Fryer Chicken Fries.
- Spray the chicken with cooking spray: Spray the chicken strips with cooking spray before air frying to ensure they get crispy and golden brown.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket: Make sure to leave enough space between the Chicken Fries in the air fryer basket to allow air to circulate and ensure even cooking.
- Shake the basket: Shake the air fryer basket halfway through cooking to ensure that the Chicken Fries cook evenly on all sides.
- Let them rest: Let the Chicken Fries rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the breading to set and become even crispier.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove