This Homemade Stuffing with Italian Sausage is made with Kaiser rolls, eggs, onions, parmesan cheese, Italian sausage, milk, and baked to perfection.
I am so excited for Thanksgiving and let’s be honest, one of the best side dishes that come with Thanksgiving is the stuffing. If you are feeling up to the task of making homemade stuffing, this is the recipe you need to make. The trick to making the best homemade stuffing is using old Kaiser rolls. It beats regular old sliced bread!
What you will need
- Bread: Like I said, the secret to making the best stuffing is using Kaiser rolls. You could opt for regular sliced bread, but it is SO much better with the Kaiser rolls!
- Eggs: I used cage free, organic eggs. Use the best quality eggs for the best quality dish.
- Onions: I used yellow onions although you can use white onions as well.
- Parmesan cheese: I used premade grated parmesan cheese but if you want to make a delicious dish you can grate a block of parmesan yourself using a blender. It’s extra work but totally worth it.
- Poultry seasoning: I love using poultry seasoning because it pairs well with the turkey. You could use Italian seasoning as well.
- Sausage: You can use Italian or Luganica sausage. I used a mix of Italian sweet and hot sausage. I love it!
- Milk: I used regular whole milk although you can use fat free or any kind of milk to moisten the bread.
How to make Homemade Stuffing with Italian Sausage
Add the bite sized Kaiser roll bread into a large bowl. Add the beaten eggs, milk, and parmesan cheese. Mix with your hands and let it soak for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large Dutch oven on medium heat, add oil and wait for it to shimmer. Add sausage until brown, about 8 minutes, tossing frequently. Remove and place the sausage on a plate. If needed add more oil, then and add onions until transparent, about 5 minutes. Return sausage in the dutch oven. Add rolls and add seasoning. Turn off heat, combine and add in a 9x13 baking dish.
Bake for an hour.