This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe is made with pumpkin, chocolate chips, flour, eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg.
Indulge in the delightful combination of pumpkin and chocolate with these irresistible Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. Bursting with warm autumn flavors and studded with melty chocolate chips, these muffins are perfect for breakfast, a snack, or a sweet treat any time of the day. The moist and tender texture, along with the cozy spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, make these muffins a true fall favorite.
With a can of pumpkin, a bag of chocolate chips, and a few pantry staples, you can whip up a batch of these delicious muffins to share with family and friends. Get ready to savor the comforting aroma and scrumptious taste of these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins that are sure to bring joy to your taste buds.
- What are Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins?
- Why you will love this recipe
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Ingredients
- How to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- What to serve with Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Variations
- How to store Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Top tips
- Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
- Food safety
What are Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are a popular baked treat made with a combination of pumpkin puree, chocolate chips, and a blend of warm spices. These muffins are moist, flavorful, and often enjoyed during the fall season, especially around Halloween and Thanksgiving. They offer a delicious balance of the rich, sweet taste of chocolate and the subtle earthiness of pumpkin.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins can be enjoyed as a breakfast treat, snack, or dessert. They are often served fresh and warm, straight out of the oven, or at room temperature. These muffins are a beloved seasonal favorite, bringing the comforting essence of fall and the irresistible combination of pumpkin and chocolate to every bite.
Why you will love this recipe
- Flavorful Combination: The pairing of pumpkin and chocolate is a match made in heaven. The sweetness of the chocolate chips complements the earthy and slightly sweet taste of the pumpkin, creating a harmonious blend of flavors that is hard to resist.
- Moist and Tender Texture: The addition of pumpkin puree to the muffin batter creates a moist and tender texture, resulting in muffins that are incredibly soft and enjoyable to eat.
- Seasonal Delight: Pumpkin is often associated with the fall season, making Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins a popular treat during autumn. They evoke feelings of warmth, comfort, and nostalgia, making them a seasonal favorite.
- Easy to Make: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are relatively simple to prepare, requiring basic baking ingredients and minimal effort. The recipe is beginner-friendly, making it accessible to both seasoned bakers and those new to baking.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Pumpkin puree
- Chocolate chips
- Baking soda
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease it lightly. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and nutmeg.
In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, water, and vegetable oil. Mix well until smooth. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Be careful not to overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips into the batter.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about three-fourths full. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
What to serve with Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Hot Beverage: Serve the muffins with a hot cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. The warm beverage complements the cozy flavors of the muffins and creates a comforting pairing.
- Whipped Cream or Cream Cheese Frosting: If you want to elevate the muffins into a dessert-like treat, you can top them with a dollop of whipped cream or a smear of cream cheese frosting. This adds a creamy and luscious element to the muffins.
- Fresh Fruit: Accompany the muffins with a side of fresh fruits such as sliced bananas, berries, or apple slices. The fruity freshness adds a contrasting element and provides a healthy balance to the sweetness of the muffins.
- Whole wheat flour: Substitute all or a portion of the flour with whole wheat flour for added fiber and nutty flavor.
- Gluten-free flour blend: Use a gluten-free flour blend if you need to avoid gluten. Ensure it is a suitable 1:1 replacement for all-purpose flour.
- Pumpkin Puree:
- Sweet potato puree: Substitute an equal amount of sweet potato puree for a similar flavor and texture.
- Mashed banana: Replace the pumpkin puree with mashed ripe banana for a different flavor profile.
- Chocolate Chips:
- Chopped nuts: Use chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds as a nutty alternative to chocolate chips.
- Dried fruit: Replace the chocolate chips with dried cranberries, raisins, or chopped dried apricots for a fruity twist.
- Flaxseed or chia eggs: Mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed or chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water to replace each egg. Allow the mixture to thicken before using.
- Unsweetened applesauce: Use ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce as a substitute for one egg to add moisture to the muffins.
- Baking Soda:
- Baking powder: If you don't have baking soda, you can use three times the amount of baking powder as a substitute.
- Pumpkin pie spice: Replace the cinnamon with an equal amount of pumpkin pie spice, which typically includes cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- Honey or maple syrup: Substitute an equal amount of honey or maple syrup for a different level of sweetness and flavor.
- Coconut sugar: Use coconut sugar as a natural alternative to refined white sugar.
- Allspice: Substitute an equal amount of allspice, which combines flavors of cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Variations
- Spiced Pumpkin Muffins: Add additional spices such as ginger, allspice, or cardamom to enhance the warm and cozy flavors.
- Streusel Topping: Top the muffins with a crunchy streusel made from a mixture of flour, butter, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins: Infuse the muffins with coffee flavor by adding instant coffee or espresso powder to the batter.
- Maple Glazed Pumpkin Muffins: Drizzle a sweet maple glaze over the muffins for an extra layer of sweetness and flavor.
- Nutty Pumpkin Muffins: Incorporate chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts into the batter for added texture and nutty flavor.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Create a surprise center by adding a dollop of sweetened cream cheese to the muffin batter before baking.
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins: Make the recipe vegan-friendly by using plant-based substitutes such as flax eggs, dairy-free chocolate chips, and non-dairy milk.
Check out my Rice Krispie Chocolate Squares.
To make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, you will typically need the following equipment:
- Mixing Bowls: You'll need at least two mixing bowls—one for dry ingredients and another for wet ingredients.
- Whisk or Mixing Spoons: Use a whisk or mixing spoons to combine the ingredients and ensure they are evenly mixed.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Use measuring cups and spoons to accurately measure the ingredients.
- Muffin Tin: A standard 12-cup muffin tin is commonly used to bake the muffins. You can also use mini muffin tins for smaller-sized muffins. You could also use a mini muffin tin.
- Muffin Liners: Paper or silicone muffin liners are useful for preventing the muffins from sticking to the pan and for easy removal.
- Oven: A conventional oven is needed to bake the muffins. Make sure it is preheated to the specified temperature in the recipe.
- Cooling Rack: After baking, place the muffins on a cooling rack to allow them to cool properly.
- Optional: Electric Mixer or Hand Mixer: While not necessary, an electric mixer or hand mixer can be used to mix the ingredients quickly and efficiently. It can be helpful when creaming butter or mixing the wet ingredients.
How to store Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
To properly store Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and keep them fresh, follow these steps:
- Allow the muffins to cool completely: Let the muffins cool down to room temperature before storing them. This prevents condensation from forming inside the storage container, which can make the muffins soggy.
- Choose an airtight container: Place the cooled muffins in an airtight container that provides a snug fit. Alternatively, you can use a resealable plastic bag.
- Layer with parchment or wax paper: If you're stacking multiple layers of muffins in the container, place a sheet of parchment or wax paper between each layer to prevent them from sticking together.
- Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator: If you plan to consume the muffins within 1-2 days, you can store them at room temperature. However, if you live in a particularly warm or humid climate, it's best to store them in the refrigerator to maintain freshness. Remember to bring the refrigerated muffins to room temperature before serving for the best taste and texture.
- Freeze for long-term storage: If you want to store the muffins for an extended period, you can freeze them. Wrap each muffin tightly in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe bag. Frozen muffins can typically be stored for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator or at room temperature before enjoying.
- Avoid direct sunlight or heat: Store the muffins in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or sources of heat, as this can cause them to spoil or become stale more quickly.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Top tips
- Use Pure Pumpkin Puree: Be sure to use pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling, which contains added sweeteners and spices. Look for canned pumpkin puree or make your own by cooking and pureeing fresh pumpkin.
- Measure Ingredients Accurately: Use measuring cups and spoons to ensure accurate measurements of the ingredients. Baking is a precise process, and accurate measurements help achieve consistent results.
- Don't Overmix the Batter: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing can lead to dense and tough muffins. A few lumps in the batter are perfectly fine.
- Fold in Chocolate Chips Gently: Add the chocolate chips to the batter and fold them in gently using a spatula. This helps distribute the chocolate evenly without overmixing the batter.
- Adjust Spice Levels: If you prefer a stronger or milder spice flavor, feel free to adjust the amount of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg to suit your taste preferences.
- Use High-Quality Chocolate Chips: Choose good-quality chocolate chips or chunks to ensure a rich and delicious chocolate flavor in every bite.
- Fill Muffin Cups Appropriately: Fill each muffin cup about ¾ full with batter. This allows room for the muffins to rise and ensures they bake evenly.
- Add a Decorative Touch: Before baking, you can sprinkle a few additional chocolate chips on top of each muffin or lightly press a few into the tops for an attractive presentation.
- Cool Before Storing: Allow the muffins to cool completely on a wire rack before storing them to prevent excess moisture buildup.
- Enjoy Fresh or Warm: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are best enjoyed fresh on the day they are made. If serving the next day, warm them slightly in the microwave for a few seconds or in a low-temperature oven to bring back their fresh-baked taste.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove