This Cranberry Whiskey Sour is made with a homemade cranberry simple syrup, oranges, lemons, limes, cranberry juice and whiskey.
This is one of my favorite drinks to make every Thanksgiving, although let’s be real it works for most days. I like to garnish with orange slices and rosemary sprigs. This easy cocktail is perfectly balanced, amazingly tart, and so easy to make. This recipe requires to make a cranberry simple syrup using maple syrup and fresh cranberries.
You can drink this for a nice brunch or evening cocktails. whiskey is one of my favorite spirits and I usually don’t order an overly sweet cocktail as, let’s face it, causes my worst hangovers. This is only sweetened with maple syrup, and being a natural sweetener, I feel great the next day!
What you will need:
- Maple Syrup: You can use maple syrup or simple syrup. You can make simple syrup by boiling equal parts water and sugar.
- Cranberries: The cranberries need to be fresh to make the cranberry simple syrup.
- Orange: You will need a fresh orange for its zest and to garnish.
- Lemon Juice: For best taste, use the juice from fresh lemons, although you can use store bought lemon juice.
- Lime juice: For best taste, use the juice from fresh limes, although you can use store bought lime juice.
- Cranberry Juice: You need to use 100% cranberry juice, do not opt for cranberry juice cocktail.
How to make Cranberry Whiskey Sour
Make the cranberry simple syrup: In a medium pot, bring ½ cup water, the maple syrup and cranberries to boil over high heat. Boil for 5 minutes, until the cranberries begin to burst. Then remove and stir in the orange zest. Add additional water if next to be thinner.
In a jar, add the cranberry simple syrup, bourbon, lemon juice, cranberry juice and stir. Add ice into small whiskey glasses and serve. Garnish with orange slices.