This Green Apple Smoothie Recipe is made with almond milk, apple cider vinegar, apples, bananas, kale, and blended into green perfection.
This smoothie is packed with antioxidants, immune boosting properties, and helps improve cholesterol levels, not to mention it is delicious. This smoothie also has a TON of benefits for your hair, nails and skin. Avocado is a great source of biotin, and adding this in your diet may help your hair grow more healthily. I basically eat one of these smoothies a day and it has seriously helped so much.
I usually drink apple cider vinegar in the morning, and have now incorporated in my daily smoothie. Apple Cider Vinegar has powerful antimicrobial properties that ease skin infections and soothe irritation. As a mild acid, ACV may also help restore the PH balance of your skin. More importantly, the antimicrobial substance can help kill any bad bacteria in the stomach or intestines, promoting your gut health.
- What is a Green Apple Smoothie?
- Green Apple Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
- How to make Green Apple Smoothie
- What to serve with Green Apple Smoothie
- Green Apple Smoothie Recipe Variations
- How to store Green Apple Smoothie
- Green Apple Smoothie Recipe Top tips
- Green Apple Smoothie Recipe
- Food safety
What is a Green Apple Smoothie?
A green apple smoothie is a healthy and refreshing beverage made from fresh green apples and other nutritious ingredients. The smoothie typically includes green apples, leafy greens such as spinach or kale, a liquid base such as water, coconut water or almond milk, and other ingredients like banana, honey, or ginger, depending on personal preference. The green apples add a tart and crisp flavor to the smoothie, while the other ingredients provide essential nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Green apple smoothies are often consumed as a quick and easy breakfast or snack, and are a great way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet.
Green Apple Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Almond milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Green apple
- Collagen powder (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Green Apple Smoothie
Place all of the ingredients in your blender.
Process until smooth.
For best practice, throw in the solids first and then pour in the liquids.
Enjoy this Green Apple Smoothie!
What to serve with Green Apple Smoothie
- Toast with nut butter: A slice of whole grain toast with almond or peanut butter can add some protein and healthy fats to your meal.
- Fresh fruit: Sliced strawberries, bananas, or blueberries can complement the flavors in the green apple smoothie and add some extra fiber and vitamins to your meal.
- Yogurt: A serving of plain Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey and some granola can add some texture and protein to your breakfast.
- Hard-boiled eggs: If you're looking for a more substantial meal, hard-boiled eggs can provide some protein and healthy fats to help keep you full.
- Oatmeal: A bowl of oatmeal topped with sliced almonds, fresh berries, and a drizzle of honey can be a hearty and healthy addition to your green apple smoothie. Feel free to try my Overnight Oats with Peanut Butter or my Apple Instant Pot Oatmeal.
Almond Milk: You can use regular milk, oat milk, or soy milk. You can even opt for using water!
Apple Cider Vinegar: Make sure to use an apple cider vinegar that is organic and raw. Using otherwise will not be great for your stomach since we aren’t cooking with it.
Apple: I used a green apple for a more acidic taste, but you can use red or yellow.
Banana: The banana is a great natural sweetener for the smoothie, without being overly sweet. Make sure to use a ripe banana.
Kale: You can use kale or spinach.
Collagen: I like the Natreve or Vital Proteins brands, but you can use whichever you prefer.
Green Apple Smoothie Recipe Variations
- Green apple and ginger smoothie: Add a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger to your smoothie for a spicy kick. Ginger is known to have anti-inflammatory properties and can help aid digestion.
- Green apple and spinach smoothie: Replace kale with spinach for a milder, sweeter flavor. Spinach is also high in iron and other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Green apple and kale smoothie with chia seeds: Add a tablespoon of chia seeds to your smoothie for extra fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. Chia seeds also help thicken the smoothie and create a satisfying texture.
- Green apple and avocado smoothie: Add half an avocado to your smoothie for a creamy and rich texture. Avocados are high in healthy fats and fiber and can help keep you full for longer.
If you love this recipe, you need to try my friend Krista's Cottage Cheese Smoothie.
- Blender: A high-powered blender is the most important piece of equipment you will need to make a green apple smoothie. A blender with a strong motor will be able to blend the ingredients smoothly and create a smooth and creamy texture.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Measuring cups and spoons will help you measure the ingredients accurately and ensure that your smoothie has the right consistency.
- Cutting board and knife: You will need a cutting board and a sharp knife to chop the green apples and any other fruits or vegetables that you want to add to your smoothie.
- Liquid measuring cup: If your recipe calls for a specific amount of liquid, a liquid measuring cup will help you measure it accurately.
- Strainer: If you prefer a smoother texture for your smoothie, you can strain it through a fine-mesh strainer to remove any pulp or seeds.
- Mason jars or glasses: Mason jars or glasses will help you serve your green apple smoothie in style.
How to store Green Apple Smoothie
Green apple smoothies are best enjoyed fresh, but you can store any leftover smoothie in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Here are some tips for storing your green apple smoothie:
- Pour the smoothie into an airtight container: Use a glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid to store your smoothie.
- Refrigerate the smoothie: Place the container in the refrigerator immediately after making the smoothie to keep it chilled.
- Shake well before serving: Give the container a good shake before pouring the smoothie into a glass to redistribute any settled pulp or ingredients.
- Don't store for too long: Green apple smoothies are best consumed fresh, so try to drink it within 24 hours of making it. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more it may lose its fresh flavor and nutrients.
Green Apple Smoothie Recipe Top tips
- Use fresh and ripe ingredients: The key to a great green apple smoothie is using fresh, ripe ingredients. Choose green apples that are firm and crisp, and make sure any other fruits or vegetables you use are at their peak freshness.
- Use a high-powered blender: To get a smooth and creamy texture, you'll need a powerful blender. A high-powered blender will be able to break down the ingredients into a smooth consistency without leaving any chunks or pulp.
- Add liquid gradually: When adding liquid to your smoothie, start with a small amount and add more as needed. You can always add more liquid, but it's harder to thicken a smoothie that's too thin.
- Experiment with different greens: While kale is a popular choice for green smoothies, you can also experiment with other leafy greens like spinach, collard greens, or Swiss chard. Each green will have a slightly different flavor and nutrient profile.
- Add healthy fats and protein: To make your smoothie more filling, consider adding healthy fats and protein. Nut butters, Greek yogurt, and chia seeds are all great options that can help keep you full and satisfied.
- Sweeten naturally: If you find that your green apple smoothie is too tart, try sweetening it with natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, or dates. I love using a ripe banana to add sweetness. These will add sweetness without the added sugar of processed sweeteners.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove