These Cookie Butter Puppy Chow are made with Rice Chex, semisweet chocolate chips, Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough, vanilla extract, salted butter, and powdered sugar.
These can be called muddy buddies or puppy chow. This classic is a crowd favorite and very kid friendly. My nieces were so excited to make these with me because it didn’t require any cooking. They loved mixing the melted chocolate onto the Chex and mixing with a spoon as well as tossing the powdered sugar around. Talk about sugar high!
This is the most addicting snack you can ever make. This dish be thrown together in 15 minutes. This is perfect for Christmas parties.They are great for at home snacking or even giving away as gifts! Muddy buddies are also called puppy chow, monkey munch, reindeer chow, or doggy bag. Muddy Buddies get their name for their dog food looks.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Rice Chex cereal
- Semisweet Chocolate chips
- Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough
- Vanilla extract
- Salted butter
- Powdered sugar
See recipe card for Cookie Butter Puppy Chow quantities.
Add the Chex cereal in a large Ziplock bag or a large mixing bowl with a lid. Set aside.
In a microwavable bowl, add the chocolate chips, cookie dough, butter and vanilla and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave one minute longer. If necessary, add a tiny splash of water for a more liquid texture.
Pour the mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Mix in the bag or lidded bowl.
Add powdered sugar and shake until well coated.
- Rice Chex: This is essential to making Muddy Buddies. I like to use the plain old rice Chex cereal that has the most neutral flavor. This way you can manipulate anyway you want.
- Chocolate Chips: Traditionally, puppy chow is made with chocolate chips. Feel free to mix it up anything that can melt well in the microwave. You can use white chocolate or dark chocolate chips.
- Sugar Cookie Dough: I wanted to put my own spin to this recipe by using cookie dough. Use edible cookie dough. You will melt the cookie dough with the chocolate chips. You can use sugar cookie dough or regular cookie dough for this kick.
- Vanilla: I love adding vanilla extract in my muddy buddies. I used the McCormick Vanilla Extract brand.
- Butter: Use salted butter for this to bring out the chocolate and sugary taste.
- Sugar: You will need powdered or confectioners’ sugar at the end of this recipe.
Cooking is a chance to be creative! Have fun with it and feel free to make your own variation.
- Deluxe - add peppermint bark, crushed candy cane, or peanut butter.
- Kid friendly - Let your kids make them! It is a very easy snack for them to learn.
Check out this Chicken and Shrimp Fajitas for dinner and follow up with these muddy buddies.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retain heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
I love using my Caraway pots, pans and baking sheets for best quality. Get yourself a discount by clicking here!
This will be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Add a little but of water when microwaving the chocolate for a liquid consitency.Print
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove