This Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer Recipe is made with red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, garlic, oregano, balsamic, honey, and burrata cheese.
Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer is known for its contrasting textures and flavors. The sweetness and smokiness of the roasted peppers pair beautifully with the creamy, rich burrata cheese. The dish can be served with crostini, crackers, or bread to spread the roasted peppers and burrata cheese on, or simply enjoyed with a fork as a light and refreshing appetizer.
This dish can be easily customized to suit your preferences and dietary restrictions. You can use different colors of bell peppers, such as red, yellow, or orange, to add visual appeal to the dish. You can also experiment with different herbs, dressings, and additional toppings, such as sun-dried tomatoes, olives, or pine nuts, to add more complexity to the flavors.
This is one of my favorite appetizers ever. Not only does it feel light, but it tastes so freaking delicious. The honey balances the tanginess of the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. It is such a treat and always a crowd pleaser. I add sweet cherry tomatoes and spoon it over the fresh burrata cheese, it makes the dish tasty and colorful. You could even add this in an Italian sandwich!
- What is Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer Recipe?
- Burrata Appetizer Recipe Ingredients
- How to make this Burrata Appetizer
- What to serve with this Burrata Appetizer Recipe
- Burrata Appetizer Recipe Variations
- How to store Burrata Appetizer
- Burrata Appetizer Recipe Top tips
- Burrata Appetizer Recipe
- Food safety
What is Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer Recipe?
Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer is a dish that features roasted bell peppers and creamy burrata cheese as the main components. Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese made from mozzarella and cream, known for its luscious, creamy interior. When paired with roasted peppers, it creates a delicious and visually appealing appetizer that is often served as a starter or antipasto in Italian cuisine.
To make Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer, bell peppers are typically roasted until they are tender and charred on the outside, then peeled and marinated in a flavorful dressing. The roasted peppers are then typically arranged on a plate or platter, with a ball or wedge of burrata cheese placed on top or nestled among the peppers. The dish is often garnished with fresh herbs, such as basil or parsley, and drizzled with balsamic glaze, olive oil, or other dressings for added flavor.
Burrata Appetizer Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Red bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Burrata cheese
- Toasted bread
See recipe card for Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer quantities.
How to make this Burrata Appetizer
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a small baking dish, add the olive oil, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, balsamic vinegar, honey and salt. Combined well and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the tomatoes are bursting and the pepper is soft.
Remove the baking dish from the oven give the mixture a good stir. Make space in the middle of the dish and arrange the burrata in there.
Cut the burrata open.
Serve with crackers or toasted bread.
What to serve with this Burrata Appetizer Recipe
- Crostini or Bread: Serve the Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer with slices of toasted baguette, ciabatta, or other crusty bread. The bread can be used as a vehicle for spreading the roasted peppers and burrata cheese, adding a crunchy and flavorful element to the dish.
- Crackers or Crisps: Offer an assortment of crackers, crisps, or flatbreads for guests to enjoy with the Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer. Choose varieties that complement the flavors of the roasted peppers and burrata cheese, such as whole grain crackers, sea salt crackers, or herb-infused crisps.
- Salad: Pair the Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer with a fresh salad to add a refreshing and light contrast to the richness of the cheese and peppers. A simple arugula or mixed greens salad with a light vinaigrette would complement the dish well. Top these ingredients on my Fennel Onion Salad.
- Charcuterie: Create a charcuterie board with an array of cured meats, such as prosciutto, salami, or capicola, to accompany the Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer. The salty and savory flavors of the meats can balance out the sweetness and creaminess of the dish.
- Antipasto Platter: Serve the Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer as part of a larger antipasto platter, along with other Italian-inspired appetizers such as steamed artichokes, olives, marinated mushrooms, or grilled vegetables. This can create a diverse and flavorful spread for guests to enjoy.
- Wine or Cocktails: Offer a selection of wine, such as a crisp white wine, a rosé, or a light red wine, to complement the flavors of the Roasted Peppers Burrata Appetizer. Alternatively, you can also serve cocktails, such as a refreshing spritzer or a classic Aperol spritz, to add a festive and celebratory touch to the appetizer.
- Olive oil: I would use good quality extra-virgin olive oil for this dish. There is a lot of it so this will give it the best taste.
- Bell Pepper: I used a red bell pepper but the color is totally up to you. I ended up slicing it instead of dicing.
- Cherry tomatoes: I love roasting cherry tomatoes because it really brings out so much flavor in so any dishes. The cherry tomatoes are essential to use for this appetizer.
- Garlic: You can minced the garlic instead of smashing them, totally up to you. You can even use the garlic from the jar, although use fresh garlic for best taste.
- Oregano: I used oregano for this dish although thyme works just as good.
- Balsamic vinegar: I used a bottle of good quality balsamic vinegar, although red wine veingar would work for this too.
- Honey: The honey is used to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes and vinegar - you hardly will taste it. It is such a great combination!
- Burrata cheese: I used burrata cheese for this although if you have a fresh mozzarella that could work as well.
Burrata Appetizer Recipe Variations
- Tomato and Basil Burrata Appetizer: Instead of roasted peppers, you can use fresh tomatoes and basil to create a classic Caprese-style Burrata Appetizer. Simply slice ripe tomatoes, arrange them on a platter, and top each slice with a small piece of burrata cheese. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, drizzle with balsamic glaze or reduction, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fig and Prosciutto Burrata Appetizer: Add a touch of sweetness and saltiness to your Burrata Appetizer by using fresh figs and prosciutto. Halve fresh figs, wrap them with thin slices of prosciutto, and place them on a platter. Top each bundle with a small piece of burrata cheese, and drizzle with honey or balsamic glaze for added flavor.
- Roasted Beet and Walnut Burrata Appetizer: For a colorful and earthy variation, you can use roasted beets and walnuts with Burrata cheese. Roast beets until tender, peel and slice them, and arrange on a platter. Add toasted walnuts, crumble over the Burrata cheese, and drizzle with a tangy vinaigrette made with olive oil, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard. Check out my Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese Salad and combine them for a nice twist.
- Oven: To roast the peppers, you will need an oven or a grill with a broiler function.
- Baking sheet or roasting pan: To place the peppers on baking dish for roasting in the oven.
- Chef's knife: To slice the roasted peppers and any other ingredients you may be using in your variation of the appetizer.
- Cutting board: To safely chop and prepare the ingredients.
- Mixing bowl: To toss the roasted peppers with any seasoning, dressing, or sauce.
- Serving platter: To arrange and present the final appetizer.
- Burrata cheese knife or spoon: To cut or scoop out portions of the creamy burrata cheese.
- Optional: Kitchen tongs or a fork for handling hot roasted peppers.
How to store Burrata Appetizer
- Store in an airtight container: Transfer any leftover Burrata Appetizer to an airtight container to help prevent air exposure and preserve freshness.
- Refrigerate promptly: Place the container in the refrigerator as soon as possible to slow down the deterioration of the ingredients.
- Store separately, if possible: If you have leftover components of the Burrata Appetizer, such as roasted peppers, dressing, or other toppings, it's best to store them separately. This helps to prevent the ingredients from becoming too soggy or losing their texture.
- Consume within 24-48 hours: Burrata cheese is a fresh cheese and is best consumed within 24-48 hours of preparation. It tends to lose its creaminess and freshness over time.
- Reassemble before serving, if needed: If you have stored the components of the appetizer separately, you can reassemble them just before serving to ensure the best taste and presentation.
Burrata Appetizer Recipe Top tips
- Choose fresh ingredients: Since Burrata is a fresh cheese, it's important to use the freshest ingredients for the best flavor and texture. Select ripe, sweet, and colorful roasted peppers, fresh herbs, and other toppings to enhance the overall taste and presentation of the appetizer.
- Roast peppers properly: Roasting the peppers is a key step in many Burrata Appetizer recipes. Make sure to roast the peppers until they are soft, charred, and easily peelable. This will help to bring out their natural sweetness and smoky flavor, which pairs well with the creamy Burrata cheese.
- Use high-quality Burrata cheese: Burrata cheese is the star of the show in Burrata Appetizer, so it's important to use high-quality, fresh Burrata cheese. Look for Burrata cheese that is soft, creamy, and oozing with fresh curds when cut open. Avoid Burrata cheese that is overly dry or has a sour smell, as it may be past its prime.
- Serve at room temperature: Burrata cheese is best served at room temperature, as it allows the cheese to reach its optimal creamy texture and flavor. Take the Burrata cheese out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 15-30 minutes before serving, depending on the size of the cheese ball.
- Add contrasting flavors and textures: To create a well-balanced and flavorful Burrata Appetizer, consider adding contrasting flavors and textures. For example, you can add tangy balsamic glaze, salty olives, crunchy nuts, or fresh herbs to complement the creamy richness of the Burrata cheese and roasted peppers.
- Drizzle with high-quality olive oil: A drizzle of high-quality extra virgin olive oil can add a luxurious touch to the Burrata Appetizer. Look for a good-quality olive oil with a fruity and robust flavor to enhance the overall taste of the appetizer.
- Serve with crusty bread or crackers: Burrata Appetizer is typically served with crusty bread or crackers for scooping up the creamy cheese, roasted peppers, and other toppings. Choose a high-quality bread or crackers that can hold up to the creamy Burrata cheese and add an additional layer of texture and flavor to the appetizer.
- Serve immediately: Burrata cheese is best consumed immediately after preparation for the best taste and texture. Serve the Burrata Appetizer promptly after assembling to ensure that the cheese is at its creamy best.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove