You went to the store and have some live lobsters, a large stockpot, and you are ready to go. Do you know how long to boil a lobster per pound?
There are common misconceptions about buying a live lobster. The lobsters are black or brown then you buy them. They actually turn red after you cook them, Keep reading for the tastiest and more humane way to cook a lobster.
Do not store the lobsters in freshwater or they will die - this includes putting ice on them. Store them in a box inside the refrigerator. I would pick up the lobsters right before you need to cook them for best results.
It is better to undercook than overcook a lobster as well as cooling your lobster post boiling. Make sure you don’t leave them in the pot even if you turn the stove off. We cooked 4 large lobsters in a 64-quart pot.
Cooking a live animal can be uncomfortable so we want to do this as humanely as possible. Make sure you put the lobster in the boiling water head first. Lobsters do not scream - in fact the noise it makes is heated air forcing itself out through the small gaps in the lobster’s shell.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
See recipe card for quantities.
How long to boil a lobster per pound?
Allow 3 quarts of water per 1 pound lobster. Add ¼ cup of salt for each 4 quarts of water.
Put the lobsters in using gloves or tongs. The lobsters will be bright red when they’re ready. Make sure its head first to be as humane as possible.
Cook a lobster for 10 minutes for 1 pound lobster, 13 minutes for a 2 pound lobster and 16 minutes for a 3 pound lobster. Add ¼ cup of salt for each 4 quarts of water. Place the boiled lobsters on a cooling rack when you’re done and let them stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Microwave a stick of butter for a minute and serve the lobster with butter. You can serve with lemon wedges as well.
Hint: If you have a smaller stockpot then you will have to cook them in batches.
How to crack open a lobster
Best ways to crack open a lobster is:
- Twist off the arms
- Crack open the claw and along the arm with a lobster cracker
- Use small forks to push the meat out of the claws
- Pull the tail off
- Use scissors to butterfly the tail open on the softer part
- Insert fork to push the meat out.
Cooking is a chance to be creative! Have fun with it and feel free to make your own variation.
- Spicy - Serve with hot pepper flakes or hot sauce.
- Deluxe - add on a butter roll and make a lobster roll.
- Kid friendly - Serve the lobster meat on some butter pasta.
Check out my Crab Marinara.
You will need lobster crackers to enjoy this boiled lobster. You could also use a hammer and crack them all before serving. Without the lobster crackers, you wont be able to get all of the meat out.
To boil the lobsters, I used this Bayou classic stockpot.
This will be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
So, how long to boil a lobster per pound? Cook a lobster for 10 minutes for 1 pound lobster, 13 minutes for a 2 pound lobster and 16 minutes for a 3 pound lobster.Print
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove