How to make your own Corn Tortillas from scratch is easy: you need Masa Harina, hot water, and a tortilla press.
What you will need
Masa Harina: The brand I use when I make tortillas or gorditas is Maseca. It is the most traditional brand, although I know people use different ones.
Water: Make sure the water is hot so the Masa Harina gets well combined and into the perfect dough.
How to make your own Corn Tortillas from scratch
- Boil about 3 cups of water (we will only use half but its smart to make more)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of maseca and 1 ½ cup of hot water. Begin working the masa with your hands.
- Make 16-18 balls of dough. Each ball should be the size of a golf ball.
- Wrap the tortilla press in plastic to keep the tortilla from sticking. Place the masa ball in the center of the press wrapped in plastic. Press down with a tortilla presser to make the dough into a tortilla.
- Continue with the rest of the dough.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat and cook on each side about 2-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the tortilla.
Other dishes to try
- CHEESY ZUCCHINI WITH CORN (CALABACITAS CON ELOTE Y QUESO)
- COCHINITA PIBIL
- MEXICAN SOPES WITH CARNE ASADA