This Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe is made with salmon fillets, mayonnaise, cajun seasoning, everything but the bagel seasoning and baked to perfection.
The everything but the bagel seasoning gives the salmon a nice crust but stays so soft and a subtle layer of flavor. The added crunch provides a nice contrast to the soft butter salmon. It only takes about 20 minutes to make in total which makes this a great healthy weeknight meal. What is great about this recipe is that you can add any fresh vegetable toppings your little heart desires.
- What are the benefits of Salmon?
- Why you will love this Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe
- Everything Bagel Crusted Salmon Ingredients
- How to make Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe
- What to Serve with Everything but the Bagel Salmon
- Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe Variations
- How to make homemade everything bagel seasoning
- How to store Everything but the Bagel Salmon
- Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe Top tips
- Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe
- Food safety
What are the benefits of Salmon?
- Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Salmon is one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, particularly EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which are essential fats that are important for brain health, heart health, and reducing inflammation in the body. Omega-3 fatty acids are known to have numerous health benefits, including reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, improving brain function, and supporting healthy joints.
- High in Protein: Salmon is a great source of high-quality protein, which is important for building and repairing tissues in the body. Protein is also essential for maintaining healthy skin, hair, and nails, as well as supporting immune function.
- Excellent Source of Vitamin D: Salmon is one of the few natural food sources of vitamin D, a nutrient that plays a crucial role in bone health, immune function, and mood regulation. Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium and phosphorus in the body, which are essential for strong bones and teeth.
- Rich in B Vitamins: Salmon is a good source of several B vitamins, including vitamin B12, vitamin B6, and niacin. These vitamins play a key role in maintaining a healthy nervous system, producing energy, and supporting brain function.
- Supports Heart Health: The omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon have been shown to promote heart health by reducing inflammation, improving cholesterol levels, and helping to maintain healthy blood pressure. Regular consumption of salmon has been associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
Why you will love this Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe
Making everything but the bagel salmon is a great way to add flavor and texture to an otherwise simple dish. Here are some reasons why you might want to make everything but the bagel salmon:
- Adds flavor: Everything bagel seasoning is a popular blend of spices that includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, onion, and salt. When used on salmon, it adds a delicious savory and nutty flavor that enhances the natural taste of the fish.
- Provides texture: Everything bagel seasoning also adds a crunchy texture to the salmon. The sesame seeds and poppy seeds provide a nice crunch that complements the tender texture of the fish.
- Easy to make: Making everything but the bagel salmon is a simple process that requires just a few ingredients and little preparation time. This makes it a great option for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- Healthy: Salmon is a nutritious fish that is high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and other essential nutrients. By adding everything but the bagel seasoning to the salmon, you're creating a healthy and flavorful dish that is satisfying and good for you.
- Versatile: Everything but the bagel salmon is a versatile dish that can be served in a variety of ways. You can serve it hot or cold, with a side salad or vegetables, or as part of a larger meal. It's also a great option for meal prepping and can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner throughout the week.
Everything Bagel Crusted Salmon Ingredients
- Cajun Seasoning
- Everything but the bagel
See recipe card for quantities for this Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe.
How to make Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe
See video below for step by step instructions.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the fillets onto the sheet. In a bowl, add the mayonnaise and the cajun seasoning and mix.
Spread the mayonnaise mix onto each piece of salmon.
Sprinkle each fillet evenly with everything but the bagel seasoning.
Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
Hint: Do not overcook the salmon. Baking time should be 12 to 15 minutes, tops.
What to Serve with Everything but the Bagel Salmon
Everything but the bagel salmon is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of sides and accompaniments. Here are some ideas on what to serve with everything but the bagel salmon:
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables like asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or carrots are a delicious and healthy side dish that complements the savory flavor of the salmon.
- Salad: A simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing is a light and refreshing side dish that contrasts the richness of the salmon.
- Rice or quinoa: A side of rice or quinoa provides a neutral base that absorbs the flavors of the salmon and seasoning while adding a filling element to the meal.
- Steamed or roasted potatoes: Steamed or roasted potatoes add a comforting and satisfying element to the dish. Try tossing them in some olive oil, salt, and pepper before roasting for an extra layer of flavor.
- Garlic bread: Garlic bread is a tasty side dish that complements the garlic and onion flavors in the everything bagel seasoning. It's also a great option for soaking up any leftover juices or sauce from the salmon.
- Creamy sauce or dip: A creamy sauce or dip like tzatziki, ranch dressing or sour cream, can complement the bold flavors of the salmon while adding a cool and refreshing element to the dish.
Salmon: Using salmon is essential for this dish, the everything but the bagel seasoning gives the dish so much flavor.
Mayonnaise: I used regular mayonnaise for this. I absolutely love adding the spicy mayo for this (spicy mayo is mayonnaise and sriracha combination) if you like the spice, and if you can handle the heat!
Everything but the bagel seasoning: I love using a combination of sesame, pepper, and poppy that this seasoning gives you. If you prefer, you can simply use only sesame or poppy.
Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe Variations
Everything bagel salmon is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit different tastes and preferences. Here are some variations on everything bagel salmon:
- Everything Bagel Crusted Salmon: Coat the salmon with everything bagel seasoning and a little bit of olive oil, then bake in the oven for a crunchy crust.
- Lemon Everything Bagel Salmon: Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to the salmon before seasoning it with everything bagel seasoning for a bright, zesty flavor.
- Sweet and Spicy Everything Bagel Salmon: Add a touch of honey and some red pepper flakes to the everything bagel seasoning to give the salmon a sweet and spicy kick.
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Bagel Salmon: Cut a pocket into the salmon fillets and stuff with cream cheese before seasoning with everything bagel seasoning and baking.
- Everything Bagel Salmon Tacos: Flake the cooked salmon and serve in warm tortillas with avocado, salsa, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Everything Bagel Smoked Salmon: Replace fresh salmon with smoked salmon and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning for a twist on traditional smoked salmon.
Check out my Spicy Baked Salmon recipe.
Making everything but the bagel salmon requires some basic kitchen equipment. Here's a list of the essential equipment you'll need:
- Baking sheet: You'll need a baking sheet to cook the salmon in the oven. I love using my Caraway baking sheets for best quality. Get yourself a discount by clicking here.
- Parchment paper: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the salmon from sticking.
- Brush: Use a brush to coat the salmon fillets with the mayonnaise.
- Everything bagel seasoning: You can make your own everything bagel seasoning or buy it ready-made. See below on how to make your own.
How to make homemade everything bagel seasoning
Making homemade everything bagel seasoning is a quick and easy process that requires just a few ingredients. Mix the below ingredients to make a homemade everything but the bagel seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
How to store Everything but the Bagel Salmon
If you have leftover everything but the bagel salmon, it's important to store it properly to keep it fresh and prevent it from spoiling. Here's how to store everything but the bagel salmon:
- Let the salmon cool: Allow the salmon to cool to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator. This will prevent condensation from forming inside the storage container.
- Store in an airtight container: Place the leftover salmon in an airtight container, such as a food storage container with a lid or a resealable plastic bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent the salmon from drying out.
- Refrigerate promptly: Refrigerate the leftover salmon as soon as possible, ideally within two hours of cooking. Keep it in the coldest part of the refrigerator, such as the back of the bottom shelf.
- Consume within 3-4 days: Leftover everything but the bagel salmon should be consumed within 3-4 days of cooking. Discard any leftovers that have been stored for longer than this time.
Everything Bagel Salmon Recipe Top tips
Here are some top tips for making everything but the bagel baked salmon with mayonnaise:
- Use high-quality salmon: Since the salmon is the star of the dish, it's important to use fresh, high-quality salmon fillets. Look for wild-caught salmon if possible.
- Let the salmon come to room temperature: Before cooking, remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes. This will help the salmon cook more evenly.
- Don't overcook the salmon: Salmon can easily overcook and become dry and tough. Bake the salmon just until it's cooked through, but still moist and tender. The internal temperature should reach 145°F (63°C).
- Coat the salmon with mayonnaise: The mayonnaise helps to keep the salmon moist and adds a delicious flavor. Make sure to coat the salmon fillets with a thick layer of mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning: Generously sprinkle the everything bagel seasoning on top of the mayonnaise-coated salmon fillets. The seasoning adds a delicious crunch and savory flavor.
- Use parchment paper: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the salmon from sticking.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon: Before serving, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the salmon fillets. The acidity of the lemon helps to balance the rich flavors of the salmon and mayonnaise.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove