These Chipotle Black Beans contain black beans, olive oil, onion, garlic, chipotle, bay leaves, limes and cilantro.
This is a vegan-friendly recipe best served with white rice. The key ingredient in these beans is to simmer them in orange juice and season them with cumin. I highly recommend it!
What you will need
- Black beans: You will need to have the black beans. You can pressure cook them yourself or just easy peasy buy them in a can. I prefer the latter, but the former will definitely taste the best.
- Onion: This can be either a yellow or red onion.
- Orange juice: This can be store bought orange juice, but for best tase, buy the orange and squeeze it yourself.
- Lime wedges for serving
How to make Chipotle Black Beans
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high. When the oil shimmers add the onion and cook until the onion is caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chipotle, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add the orange juice, beans, bay leaves, ¼ cup of water and salt and pepper as needed.
Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until all of the liquid evaporates. Turn off and remove from heat. Stir in the cilantro and add salt as needed.
Serve with lime slices, cooked white rice, and/ or tostones!
Other dishes to try
- KALE IN HOT CHERRY PEPPERS
- HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE WITH TOASTED BREADCRUMBS
- PICO DE GALLO WITH NOPALES