This Chipotle Black Beans Recipe are made with black beans, olive oil, onion, garlic, chipotle, bay leaves, limes and cilantro.
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 2 bay leaves
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges for serving
- Optional: serve with white rice
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high. When the oil shimmers add the onion and cook until the onion is caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, crushed chipotle, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add the orange juice, beans, bay leaves, 1/4 cup of water and salt and pepper as needed.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until all of the liquid evaporates. Turn off and remove from heat. Stir in the cilantro and add salt as needed.
- Serve with lime slices, tostones, and cooked white rice!
- Rinse and drain the beans: Rinse the canned beans thoroughly with water to remove any excess salt and starch. Drain them in a colander to remove excess water.
- Sauté the aromatics: Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until they're soft and translucent. This will help develop their flavor and enhance the taste of the beans.
- Don't overcook the beans: Cook the beans until they're tender but not mushy. Overcooking the beans can make them too soft and affect their texture.
- Adjust the seasoning: Taste the beans as they cook and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add more salt, chili powder, or other spices to suit your taste preferences.
- Add acid at the end: Add a splash of lime juice or vinegar to the beans at the end of cooking to brighten the flavor and balance out the sweetness.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Carribean
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 227
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Fat: 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.8 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 15.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg