This Spinach Soup Vegan is made with fresh spinach, olive oil, red onion, garlic, almond milk, cooked and blended into creamy perfection!
My mom has made spinach soup for as long as I can remember. She used to use sour cream instead of the almond milk. I have been asked by many for the Spinach Soup vegan version of this recipe. I tried it with almond milk, and it was absolutely stunning, making this soup so protein packed and filled with flavor. The most almond milk you add to it, the creamier the soup will be. The combination of the spinach, red onion, garlic and almond milk will absolutely rock your socks. If you would like an extra crunch for your soup, feel free to top with croutons.
If you are looking for something comforting and delicious, this soup is the one. It is packed with protein, extremely nutritious, and helps with immunity. Other soups you may like is my Chicken Noodle Soup and my Lentil Soup.
- Fresh Spinach
- Olive Oil
- Red Onion
- Vegetable Broth
- Almond milk
See recipe card for quantities.
In a saucepot on medium heat, add the oil and wait for it to shimmer. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stir every once in a while, until the spinach wilts. Keep adding more spinach, and keep stirring, until all of the spinach has shriveled.
Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
Once the mixture has boiled, add everything into a blender and blend until smooth.
Return the spinach soup back into the pot and mix in the milk.
Serve in individual bowls and top each bowl with some croutons.
Hint: Use a wooden spoon to stir the spinach over and over as it wilts.
- Spinach: For best quality, use fresh spinach from a bag or clear plastic box. Although the bag might seem big, the spinach will shrivel into such small pieces, making it necessary to use the entire bag. You can do this in batches as the spinach shrivels.
- Olive oil: If you prefer not to use olive oil, feel free to use vegetable or avocado oil for this.
- Onion: I used red onion for this recipe, although you can use yellow or white onion. This is the base flavor for the recipe.
- Garlic: For best quality results, use fresh garlic. You can always use garlic from the jar although it is less fresh that way.
- Vegetable broth: This vegetable broth will give the soup so much flavor. You can also use water and a bouillon cube to add flavor to the soup. This might not make it vegan though. There are some vegan bouillon cubes you can try!
- Milk: In the past, my mom always used sour cream for this recipe, giving the recipe a great Mexican twist to it. Since this is the vegan version, I tested almond milk, oat milk, and vegan cream.
- Croutons: I love using store bought croutons, although you can always cut a stale piece of bread into pieces and use that.
This is the best chance to get creative when you cook!
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish.
- Deluxe - add crispy onions or toast your own bread for dipping.
- Kid friendly - add crushed potato chips on top!
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retain heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
I love using my Caraway pots and pans for best quality. Get yourself a discount by clicking here!
Store in the fridge for up to 2-3 days, or freeze for 3 months.
For best quality, use fresh spinach from a bag or clear plastic box. Although the bag might seem big, the spinach will shrivel into such small pieces, making it necessary to use the entire bag. You can do this in batches as the spinach shrivels.Print
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove