This Healthier Orange Chicken is made with chicken, oranges, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and honey.
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, to cook chicken
- Garnish with sesame seeds or scallions
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, flour and soy sauce in a Ziplock back and shake until the chicken is fully coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce: orange juice and zest, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, honey, red pepper flakes. This is your sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken in an even layer and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Raise the heat and pour the sauce into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, immediately reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the chicken is coated, 5 to 10 minutes. (If the sauce needs extra thickening, see note below).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
- Note: If the sauce does not thicken, mix together 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water and pour into the chicken sauce mixture.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 305
- Sugar: 10.7 g
- Sodium: 1023.4 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.6 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 34.4 g
- Cholesterol: 128 mg
Keywords: Orange Chicken, Asian, Sesame Seeds