This Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Frozen Chicken is made using frozen chicken, onion, garlic, broth, spinach, diced tomatoes and rice.
This is a healthy, hearty soup that is perfect for the winter. It is loaded with chicken, veggies, and rice. This recipe uses frozen chicken when you are on the go and need to make something quick. It has so much flavor and it is unbelievably easy to make.
I am a huge lover of soup and no one will ever change my opinion. This soup is kid friendly and goes down perfectly easy. The soup can be served with crusty bread for dipping as well. All the ingredients are added first except the rice. You pressure cook everything until the chicken is ready and then add the rice and pressure cook for one minute. It takes no time!
What you will need
- Vegetable oil: You can use any oil as a substitute, like olive oil or avocado oil.
- Yellow onion: I used yellow onion, although you can use any onion of your liking.
- Garlic: For best results, use fresh garlic, but you can opt to using garlic from the jar.
- Broth: I used chicken broth for this since we are using chicken. You can substitute vegetable broth as well.
- Chicken breast: If you are using fresh chicken, I would pressure cook for only 7 minutes. IF using frozen chicken, pressure cook for 12 minutes.
- Spinach: I used arugula because it was the only thing I had on hand, but spinach makes the soup SOUPER hearty. See what I did there?
- Tomatoes: I used cherry tomatoes because I didn’t have canned tomatoes. If you do that, make sure to take them out after pressure cooking and place in a bowl and crush with a fork and throw it back in when you add the rice. Using diced tomatoes from a can is much easier!
- Rice: I used jasmin rice because it is my favorite, but you can use any rice for this recipe.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Frozen Chicken
In an instant pot, hit the sauté function for 5 minutes. Add the oil and wait for it to shimmer. Toss the onion and garlic until fragrant.
Pour in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, spinach, and frozen chicken breasts.
Pressure cook on high for 12 minutes and let it naturally release.
Open the instant pot and pour in the rice and pressure cook again for one minute, and quick release.