This Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Instant Pot is made with chicken, tomatoes, salsa verde, onion, garlic, rice, limes, cilantro and tortilla chips.
I don't think I have ever gone to a Mexican restaurant and not ordered tortilla soup as an appetizer. It is by far my favorite soup. For this recipe, not only is the soup itself incredible, but topping with tortilla chips gives it that extra crunch you need.
You can buy thick tortilla chips or make your own - I prefer the latter. To make them, you can buy corn tortillas and shallow fry them in a pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Lay them on a paper towel and they will eventually break the way a tortilla chip would.
I am a huge lover of soup and no one will ever change my opinion. This soup is kid friendly and goes down perfectly easy. This is a healthy, hearty soup that is perfect for the winter. It is loaded with chicken, veggies, and rice. This recipe may use frozen chicken when you are on the go and need to make something quick. It has so much flavor and it is unbelievably easy to make.
If you love this recipe, feel free to try my Pork Birria Tacos and my Cream Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers.
Why you will love this recipe
Full of flavor: The tomatoes and salsa verde is a great base for this soup. It fills the soup with flavor.
Kid Friendly: I grew up eating tortilla soup when I lived in Mexico, and it is still one of my favorites.
Great for cold weather: I love eating this soup to keep you warm when it is cold outside.
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Yellow onion
- Chicken breasts
- Whole plum tomato in a can
- Salsa verde
- White long grain rice
- Heavy cream
- Tortilla chips
See recipe card for quantities.
Using a pressure cooker, place the garlic, onion, chicken. Then pour 3 cups of water, the salsa verde, and the pureed tomatoes. Pour in the rice and add salt and pepper on the top. Squeeze in one lime. Lock the lid and cook on high for 20 minutes.
Take the chicken out and place on a plate and shred with two forks.
Return the shredded chicken to the pressure cooker, squeeze another lime in. Add heavy cream and stir. Garnish with cilantro if you wish. Top with avocado and tortilla chips.
Onion: I used yellow onion but you can use red or white onion.
Garlic: For best tortilla soup, use fresh garlic.
Chicken: I used chicken breast because it is easier to shred. You can use chicken thighs as well.
Tomato: You can use fresh diced tomatoes. I used whole plum tomatoes from a can.
Salsa verde: I used store bought salsa verde, but feel free to make your own.
Rice: It is best to use long grain rice for this recipe, as it is less starchy.
Limes: I used fresh limes, although you can use lemon as well.
Cooking is a chance to be creative! Have fun with it and feel free to make your own variation.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or top with hot sauce.
- Deluxe - add radishes and garnish with lime wedges.
- Kid friendly - add crushed tortilla chips.
Check out this Chicken and Shrimp Fajitas.
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retain heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
I love using my Caraway pots, pans and baking sheets for best quality.
This will be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Make sure to pressure cook on high and let it naturally release.Print
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 people 1x
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with chicken, tomatoes, salsa verde, onion, garlic, rice, limes, cilantro and tortilla chips.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 5 chicken breasts, about one pound
- 1 can of 28 oz whole plum tomato, pureed in a blender
- 2 jars (16 oz) of salsa verde (I used Herdez brand)
- 1 cup of white rice, uncooked
- Juice of 2 limes
- Optional: ⅓ cup of chopped cilantro
- Optional: ½ cup heavy cream
- Serve with avocado and tortilla chips on top
- Using a pressure cooker, place the garlic, onion, chicken. Then pour 3 cups of water, the salsa verde, and the pureed tomatoes. Pour in the rice and add salt and pepper on the top. Squeeze in one lime. Lock the lid and cook on high for 20 minutes.
- Take the chicken out and place on a plate and shred with two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pressure cooker, squeeze another lime in. Add heavy cream and stir. Garnish with cilantro if you wish. Top with avocado and tortilla chips.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes plus more time to come to pressure
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 950 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 22 g
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Leave a Reply