This Creamy Sausage and Broccoli Pasta is made with Italian sausage, garlic, chicken broth, broccoli, butter, parmesan and pasta.
This dish is so quick and easy to make. It almost seems impossible to make a recipe that the whole family would like, but this one is a winner. This meal is an an easy way to get your kids to eat their broccoli. It takes 25 minutes to make making this a quick and easy recipe. It is kid friendly as well as adult friendly.
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Egg yolks
- Parmesan cheese
See recipe card for quantities.
Take the sausage out of the casing and then cutting the sausage into bite sized pieces. In a large pan, place 1 tablespoon of olive oil, minced garlic and diced onion. Wait until the garlic browns and then add the sausage and salt. Cook the sausage for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour in 3 cups of chicken broth. Simmer water with sausage and garlic for 5 minutes.
Add the broccoli florets and simmer for 10 minutes, or until half of the water is evaporated.
Pour in the egg yolks, 2 tablespoons butter, ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, and stir until creamy. Toss in the pasta in and mix well.
Salt and pepper to taste. Mix and serve.
Hint: The egg yolks and butter will create the creaminess the dish deserves. Make sure the pot is removed from heat so you don't end up with scrambled eggs.
- Sausage: I love using Italian sausage for this, with a combination of some being spicy and some being sweet.
- Broccoli: For best results, use a fresh head of broccoli. You could use frozen broccoli and defrost it as well.
- Parmesan: I use regular grated parmesan from the store. You could also grate your own parmesan too.
- Garlic: You can smash the garlic or mince it.
- Olive Oil: I would extra virgin olive oil for best quality and taste.
- Pasta: I used rigatoni but you can use any bite size pasta.
Cooking is a chance to be creative! Have fun with it and feel free to make your own variation.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish.
- Deluxe - add heavy cream instead of the butter and eggs at the end for a super creamy pasta.
- Kid friendly - This dish is a perfect way to get your kids to eat their broccoli.
Check out this CAJUN SHRIMP ORZO!
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Stone bakeware takes longer to heat up than metal pans, and also retain heat for longer, which could make the recipe more watery, or burnt on the outsides.
I love using my Caraway pots, pans and baking sheets for best quality. Get yourself a discount by clicking here!
This will be good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
The egg yolks and butter will create the creaminess the dish deserves. Make sure the pot is removed from heat so you don't end up with scrambled eggs.Print
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove