These vegetarian nachos are made with plant based ground beef, corn, tomatoes, black beans, Monterrey Jack cheese and baked on a bed of tortilla chips.
I have been trying to eat less meat so I stumbled upon plant based meat at the grocery store. I decided to make these nachos and they were to die for. You need to start off by cooking the meat with the tomato, corn and beans and baking with the rest of the ingredients.
What you will need
- Plant Based ground beef: You can buy plant based ground beef almost in all US grocery stores. Some good brands are Pure Farmland, Crave House and Nature’s Fynd.
- Tortilla Chips: High quality store bought tortilla chips are best for this recipe. The thicker they are, the better.
- Garlic: Using fresh garlic for this recipe is best for a high quality taste.
- Corn: I used corn from a can since it requires less cooking time. IF you use fresh corn, add it at the same time as the plant based ground beef since it will need more cooking time.
- Tomato: I used diced tomato from a can without the juices. You can use fresh tomatoes and diced them fine, but you will need to add it at the same time as the meat.
- Black beans: I love using black beans from the can. If you are feeling adventurous, you can cook dried black beans, but that will take a lot of extra time beforehand.
- Cheese: You can use Monterrey Jack or Colby Jack cheese for this recipe. Other cheeses that melt well are Mozzarella, cheddar, Pepper Jack, or American. If you are vegan, feel free to make this recipe vegan and use vegan cheese.
How to make Vegetarian Nachos
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Add oil on medium heat and wait for it to shimmer. Stir in the plant based ground beef as well as the garlic. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Cook for 4-5 minutes, tossing frequently. Stir in the corn, tomato, black beans and keep cooking until the meat is fully cooked, about another 4-5 minutes.
Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Add the tortilla chips onto the prepared baking sheet. Place the “meat” on the bed of tortilla chips. Sprinkle the cheese and add the slices of jalapeno.
Bake for 6-8 minutes, watching closely, until the cheese melts.
Take the baking sheet out of the oven. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream.Print