These Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe are made with chicken drumsticks, garlic, lemons, parsley, onions and baked into perfection.
This is one of the easiest recipes, especially if you are feeding a family. Not only is it tasty, it is also super healthy. This is an easy weeknight meal and fuss-free. I love to serve them with some broccoli on the side. This dish will become a part of your regular meals, all it takes it one time, and you’ll be hooked.
What is Lemon Garlic Chicken?
Lemon Garlic Chicken is a dish made with chicken breasts or thighs that are marinated in a mixture of lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and herbs, and then baked or sautéed until tender and juicy. The lemon juice gives the chicken a bright, tangy flavor, while the garlic and herbs add depth and aroma.
Lemon Garlic Chicken is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of side dishes, such as roasted vegetables, rice, or pasta. It's a flavorful and healthy meal that's perfect for any occasion.
Why you will love this recipe
- It's packed with flavor: The combination of lemon, garlic, and herbs gives the chicken a deliciously complex and bright flavor profile that's both tangy and savory.
- It's easy to make: With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can create a tasty and satisfying meal that doesn't require a lot of fuss or special techniques.
- It's healthy: Chicken is a lean source of protein that's low in calories and fat, making it a great choice for those watching their weight or looking for a healthy meal option. Additionally, the use of fresh herbs and citrus instead of heavy sauces or creams keeps the dish light and refreshing.
- It's versatile: Lemon Garlic Chicken can be served with a variety of sides, making it a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit different tastes and preferences. Whether you prefer roasted vegetables, rice, or pasta, Lemon Garlic Chicken is a great main dish option.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Olive oil
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Lemon Garlic Chicken
Preheat the oven to 425F.
Start by rubbing salt and pepper on the drumsticks. Next, place the drumsticks, minced garlic, juice and zest of 1 lemon, olive oil and onion into a plastic storage bag for one hour in the refrigerator.
Shake the ingredients together in the bag before you place in the fridge.
Spray the baking glass dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the marinated into the baking dish. Nestle the quartered onions in with the chicken and well as the sliced lemon.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is white on the inside.
For extra crispiness, broil the chicken an extra 2-3 minutes after baking.
If you love this recipe, feel free to try my Chicken In Italian Dressing.
- Chicken: If you don't have chicken drumsticks, you can use other cuts of chicken, such as chicken thighs, breasts, or wings.
- Lemon: If you don't have fresh lemons, you can use bottled lemon juice instead. You can also try using other citrus fruits, such as lime or orange.
- Garlic: If you don't have fresh garlic, you can use garlic powder or minced garlic from a jar.
- Olive oil: If you don't have olive oil, you can use another type of oil, such as vegetable or canola oil.
- Parsley: If you don't have fresh parsley, you can use other fresh herbs, such as thyme or rosemary. You can also use dried herbs, but reduce the amount by half as dried herbs are more potent than fresh.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe Variations
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Skewers: Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and thread them onto skewers. Brush with the lemon garlic marinade and grill or broil until cooked through.
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Pasta: Cook pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, cook chicken in a skillet until cooked through. Toss the cooked pasta with the chicken, lemon garlic sauce, and some grated Parmesan cheese.
- Lemon Garlic Chicken and Vegetables: Cut up vegetables such as broccoli, bell peppers, and onions into bite-sized pieces. Toss them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook the chicken in a skillet with the lemon garlic sauce. Serve the chicken over the roasted vegetables.
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs: Use bone-in chicken thighs instead of drumsticks for a different texture and flavor. Adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry: Cut chicken into small pieces and stir-fry in a wok or skillet with vegetables such as broccoli, snap peas, and carrots. Add the lemon garlic sauce and serve over rice or noodles.
- Baking dish: A baking dish is necessary to hold the chicken drumsticks while they bake in the oven. You can use a glass, ceramic, or metal baking dish.
- Mixing bowl: You'll need a mixing bowl to combine the lemon garlic marinade ingredients.
- Whisk or fork: To combine the marinade ingredients, you'll need a whisk or fork.
- Cutting board and knife: Use a cutting board and knife to chop the garlic and parsley, as well as to cut any other ingredients such as onions.
- Measuring cups and spoons: You'll need measuring cups and spoons to accurately measure the ingredients for the marinade.
- Oven mitts: You'll need oven mitts to remove the hot baking dish from the oven.
- Tongs or a spatula: Use tongs or a spatula to remove the chicken drumsticks from the baking dish and transfer them to a serving platter.
How to store Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Let it cool: Let the chicken cool to room temperature for about 30 minutes before storing.
- Separate the chicken: If you have leftover chicken, remove it from the bone and store it in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator: Place the chicken in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freeze for longer storage: If you want to store the chicken for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3-4 months. Wrap the chicken tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bag.
- Thaw properly: When you're ready to use the frozen chicken, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Alternatively, you can thaw it in the microwave using the defrost setting.
- Reheat before serving: To reheat the chicken, you can microwave it or reheat it in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe Top tips
- Marinate the chicken: Marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes before cooking helps to infuse it with flavor and makes it more tender.
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh garlic, lemon, and parsley for the best flavor.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice: Squeeze fresh lemon juice instead of using bottled juice for a more vibrant flavor.
- Let the chicken rest: Allow the cooked chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving to help the juices distribute evenly and keep the chicken moist.
- Use a meat thermometer: To ensure the chicken is cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The internal temperature should be at least 165°F (74°C).
- Add more seasoning: Taste the chicken before serving and add more salt, pepper, or other seasonings as needed.
- Use a non-reactive dish for marinating: Use a non-reactive dish such as glass or ceramic for marinating the chicken to prevent a metallic taste.
- Use bone-in chicken: Bone-in chicken is more flavorful and tender than boneless, skinless chicken. It also helps keep the meat moist during cooking.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove