This Flamin Hot Cheetos Corn Recipe (Elote) is made with corn, butter, limes, sour cream, mayonnaise, cotija cheese and Flamin Hot Cheetos.
I have been wanting to make something incorporating hot Cheetos for quite a while. Street corn is my favorite, in fact, I have already made Elote before. I wanted to take my taste buds to the next level, so I decided to make this dish. When I brought this up that I was making this for dinner, I got some mixed reactions. At the end of the dinner, they loved it.
Why you will love this recipe
Full of flavor: The sour cream, butter and crushed Flamin' Hot Cheetos gives this corn so much flavor.
Kid Friendly: You can use regular cheetos and your kids will go crazy for this recipe. If they can handle the spice, use hot cheetos.
Great for warm Weather: I love grilling and making this during the hot summer months.
Flamin Hot Cheetos Corn Recipe Ingredients
You'll only need a few simple ingredients to make this. The exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below. Here's an overview of what you'll need:
- Sour cream
- Flamin' Hot Cheetoes
- Cotija cheese
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Flamin Hot Cheetos Corn
Put the Cheetos in a food processor and pulse. Alternatively, you can put them in a Ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Place the crushed Cheetos in a large shallow dish.
In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and lime zest. With a brush, spread the mixture onto the corn.
Grill the corn for 10 minutes, turning once halfway. In another bowl, add the lime juice, sour cream and mayo. Brush the grilled corn with the mayo sour cream sauce.
Toss the corn in the Flamin' Hot Cheetos dust. Repeat with the rest.
Top with cotjia cheese. Enjoy this Flamin Hot Cheetos Corn (Elote).
Corn: You will need fresh corn for this!
Butter: Butter makes this recipe so much tastier, although you could use oil instead.
Lime: You will need to use fresh limes for this recipe since you will need the zest as well.
Sour Cream: I love using sour cream although you can use Mexican crema as well.
Cheetos: I like using the flaming hot cheetos for a spicier kick, although regular cheetos will work too.
Flamin Hot Cheetos Corn Recipe Variations
- Herb Butter Grilled Corn: Grill the corn and brush it with melted butter infused with herbs like rosemary, thyme, or parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Parmesan Grilled Corn: Grill the corn and sprinkle it with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Optionally, add garlic powder or Italian seasoning for extra flavor.
- Spicy Lime Grilled Corn: Grill the corn and squeeze fresh lime juice over it. Sprinkle chili powder, cayenne pepper, or your preferred spicy seasoning. Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
- Smoky BBQ Grilled Corn: Grill the corn and brush it with your favorite barbecue sauce. Sprinkle smoked paprika or chipotle powder for a smoky flavor. Optionally, add grated cheddar cheese or crumbled bacon.
Check out these Calabacitas con Elote.
To make grilled Flamin' Hot Cheetos corn on the cob, you will need the following equipment:
- Grill: You will need a grill to cook the corn on the cob. You can use a gas grill, charcoal grill, or even an indoor grill pan.
- Tongs: Tongs will help you handle the corn on the grill safely, allowing you to flip it and move it around as needed.
- Aluminum Foil (optional): You may choose to wrap the corn in aluminum foil before grilling to help retain moisture and enhance the cooking process.
- Brush: A brush can be useful for spreading melted butter or other seasonings onto the corn.
- Crushing Tool: You will need a tool such as a food processor, mortar and pestle, or a resealable plastic bag and rolling pin to crush the Flamin' Hot Cheetos into a fine powder.
- Serving Platter: Once the corn is grilled and coated with Flamin' Hot Cheetos, you'll need a platter or serving dish to present the finished product.
How to store Flamin Hot Cheetos Corn
To store Flamin' Hot Cheetos corn, follow these steps:
- Allow the corn to cool completely: Let the grilled Flamin' Hot Cheetos corn cool down to room temperature before storing it. This helps prevent condensation, which can make the corn soggy.
- Wrap or cover the corn: Wrap the corn tightly in aluminum foil or transfer it to an airtight container. This helps maintain the corn's freshness and prevents it from drying out or absorbing odors from the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate the corn: Place the wrapped or covered corn in the refrigerator. The chilled environment will help prolong the corn's shelf life and maintain its quality.
- Consume within a few days: Flamin' Hot Cheetos corn is best enjoyed fresh. It is recommended to consume the stored corn within 2 to 3 days for optimal flavor and texture.
- Reheat if desired: If you want to reheat the stored Flamin' Hot Cheetos corn, you can do so by grilling it for a short time until heated through. This helps restore some of the original crispiness.
Flamin Hot Cheetos Corn Recipe Top tips
- Choose fresh corn: Select fresh ears of corn with bright green husks and plump kernels. The corn should feel firm to the touch. Fresher corn will yield better results in terms of taste and texture.
- Preheat the grill: Make sure to preheat your grill before placing the corn on it. This helps ensure even cooking and creates those desirable grill marks.
- Soak the corn: Prior to grilling, you can soak the corn in water for about 15-30 minutes. This helps prevent the husks from burning and keeps the corn moist during grilling.
- Crush the Flamin' Hot Cheetos well: Ensure that you crush the Flamin' Hot Cheetos into a fine powder. This helps the coating adhere to the corn better and ensures an even distribution of the fiery flavor.
- Use a brush to apply butter or oil: Brushing melted butter or oil onto the corn before coating it with Flamin' Hot Cheetos helps the seasoning stick to the corn and enhances the overall taste.
- Grill over medium heat: Grill the corn over medium heat to allow the corn to cook evenly without burning the Flamin' Hot Cheetos coating.
- Rotate the corn: While grilling, rotate the corn occasionally to ensure even charring and cooking on all sides.
- Monitor cooking time: The cooking time may vary depending on the grill and the size of the corn. Keep a close eye on the corn to prevent it from overcooking or drying out.
- Garnish with lime or lemon juice: Squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice over the grilled Flamin' Hot Cheetos corn before serving. The citrus juice adds a tangy element that complements the spicy flavor.
- Serve immediately: Flamin' Hot Cheetos corn is best enjoyed fresh and hot off the grill. Serve it immediately to maintain the crunchiness of the coating.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove