This Cochinita Pibil (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot) is made with pork shoulder, achiote paste, oranges, limes, pickled onion, cilantro and served on gorditas.
- 3-4 pounds of pork shoulder
- 4 oz of achiote paste
- 6 oranges, freshly squeezed or 1 cup of orange juice
- 5 limes, squeezed
Optional: Pickled onion
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of coriander or cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Pickled onion
- Make the sauce. Place the achiote paste, orange juice and lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the sauce into the bowl with the pork. Marinate overnight for best results. You can also marinate for at least one hour if you are limited in time.
- Instant pot Recipe: Cook in an Instant pot. Put all ingredients in an Instant pot and pressure cook on high for 1 hour.
- If making in Oven: Bake in the oven for 3 to 4 hours. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking dish with three sheets of aluminum foil. Pour in the pork with the marinade in it. Cover with three more sheets of aluminum foil and make sure it has a good seal.
- If making in slow cooker. Put all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Shred the pork. With a slotted spoon, place the pork into a bowl or baking dish. Shred the pork with 2 forks. It should be extremely soft at this point. Pour the sauce back into it.
- Optional: Pickle the onions. Add onion, water, vinegar, coriander and bay leaves into a small pot and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Then remove from heat and let it cool. Add into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, lime wedges and/or pickled onions.
- Serve on rice, tortilla or gorditas.
- Make sure to seal the pork well in aluminum foil if baking.
- I ended up topping with spicy mayo which was DELICIOUS. To make this mix 3 tablespoons of mayo and 1 teaspoon of sriracha for a delicious extra kick!
- Prep Time: 1 hour +
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 464.9
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 182.7 mg
- Fat: 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.0 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 32.6 g
- Cholesterol: 127.8 mg