This Spicy Crab Mexican Recipe is made with whole cleaned crabs, dried ancho chilies, garlic, onion and fish broth.
- 5 crabs, cleaned
- 3 dried Chile ancho, destemmed (or deseeded for milder heat)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups fish or seafood broth
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or epazote
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Add the chilies, garlic, and onion and boil for 15 minutes. Add the ingredients, along with 1-2 cups of the water used to boil, in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the butter and wait for it to melt. Pour the blended sauce into the pot, and bring to a simmer.
- Pour in the fish broth and bring to a boil. Add the parsley and stir. Simmer for 15 minutes, and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the crabs in the broth until they turn orange, about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Do not overcook the crab.
- You can control the heat level by the amount of seeds you use from the dried chilies. Remove the seeds if you prefer a milder heat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mexican