This Spaghetti Verde with Poblano Cream Sauce is made with poblano peppers, chili powder, milk, cream cheese, garlic, feta cheese, cilantro and tossed in cooked spaghetti.
- 8 oz spaghetti, cooked
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, package
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Roast the Poblano Peppers. At 400 degrees F, roast the poblano peppers for 20 minutes, occasionally turning with tongs. Place the peppers in a bowl covered with a clean towel or a plate for 20 minutes extra. The skin will blister off the pepper so then take the skin off, cut the pepper on one side and take the seeds out! Wash under the sink to get some of those difficult seeds out. Remove the stem. Place them on a paper towel.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve pasta water.
- In a blender, add the garlic, roasted poblanos, chili powder and salt. Pulse until smooth.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the poblano mixture and cream cheese, stirring frequently, until the cream cheese melts. Pour in the heavy cream to help dissolve. Toss the pasta in the sauce and mix. You can add pasta water to thin out the sauce. Garnish with feta cheese and cilantro.
- Cook the spaghetti al dente: To avoid the pasta becoming mushy or overcooked, cook it al dente (firm to the bite). Follow the package instructions for the recommended cooking time and test the pasta a minute or two before the end of the cooking time to ensure it's done to your liking.
- Blend the sauce until smooth: To achieve a smooth and creamy sauce, blend the ingredients for at least 1-2 minutes, or until there are no lumps or chunks.
- Reserve some pasta water: Before draining the cooked spaghetti, reserve a cup of the starchy pasta water. This can be used to thin out the sauce if it's too thick, or to help the sauce cling to the pasta.
- Season to taste: Taste the sauce before adding it to the pasta and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add salt, pepper, and other spices to your liking.
- Add cheese at the end: If using cheese in the sauce, add it after removing the skillet from the heat. This will prevent the cheese from melting too much and becoming stringy.
- Serve immediately: Green spaghetti is best served fresh and hot. Serve it immediately after mixing the pasta with the sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mexican