This Sopa de Estrellas is made with red onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and star pasta.
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 7 oz bag of stelline or star pasta
- Salt, to taste
- In a blender: Add the tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Use some of the broth, just enough to blend everything.
- Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Instant pot: In an instant pot, hit the sauté function. Add the olive oil and cook until the pasta turns golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add the broth in as well as salt and the tomato mixture. Pressure cook on high for 2 minutes.
- On the stovetop: In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the pasta and sauté until it turns golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken broth as well as the tomato mixture and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the pasta is soft.
- Tomatoes: I like using tomatoes from the can because it comes already prepared and with the juices. You should opt for the fire roasted tomatoes or the diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Onion: This dish traditionally uses red onion, but you can use white or yellow.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 291 kcal