This Peruvian Ceviche with Leche de Tigre is made with white fish, habanero pepper, red onion, ginger, garlic, and lots of lime. It is very important for the fish to be extremely fresh for this recipe. If the fish has previously been frozen, I would not recommend making this ceviche. Research where your local fish markets are – it is worth it! For this recipe you can use Mahi Mahi, Halibut, Corvina, Sea Bass and most other white fish.
- 1 pound of very fresh Mahi Mahi, Halibut, Corvina or Sea Bass
- 1 Habanero Peppers, minced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Leche de Tigre
- 6 limes
- 1 chunk crushed ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 celery stalk, smashed
- ¼ cup of cilantro, with stems
- 1 tablespoon ahi amarillo paste (optional)
- Boiled Sweet Potato or Yuca
- Boiled Corn
- Rinse the fish in cold water and pat dry. Add in a large mixing bowl and season with salt.
- Place the sliced onion in ice cold water. This makes the onion less potent.
- Make the leche de tigre. In a separate bowl, squeeze the limes and add the garlic, celery, ahi Amarillo, and cilantro. Squeeze the cilantro with the stems and add into the bowl. Let the marinade sit for 5 minutes.
- Place a strainer on top of the large bowl with the fish and pour the leche de tigre through it. Alternatively, you can just remove the contents from the leche the tigre so the juice stays in. The minute the leche de tigre juice hit the fish, the cooking magic begins!
- Mix the fish and leche de tigre with a spoon and let it sit for 5-20 minutes. Add the habanero, onion and cilantro.
- Garnish with sweet potato or yuca and corn. Serve with chips and beer!
- The reason you let the onion soak in water is to make it less potent. You don’t want such a strong onion for this ceviche or it will overpower it.
- If there are skin and bones on the fish, remove.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Curing
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 154.5
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 356.3 mg
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.2 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 17.3 g
- Cholesterol: 77.5 mg