This Neapolitan Pizza Recipe is more than just a dish; it's an art form, a universal language, and a comfort food that transcends borders.
For the Pizza Dough:
- 2 cups (232g) King Arthur '00' Pizza Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon instant yeast or active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (8g) salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) lukewarm water (105° to 115°F)
- Marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Pepperoni or salami slices
- Olive oil
- Prepare the Pizza Dough: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix these dry ingredients together. Gradually add the lukewarm water to the dry ingredients while stirring. Continue to mix until a dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Alternatively, you can use a mixer with a dough hook attachment. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel, and let it rise for about 12 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat Your Oven: Preheat your oven to the highest temperature it can reach, typically around 500°F (260°C), and place a pizza stone or a baking sheet in the oven while it preheats.
- Shape the Pizza: Punch down the risen dough to release any air bubbles. Divide it into two equal portions if you want to make two smaller pizzas or keep it whole for a larger one. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into your desired pizza shape. You can make it round, square, or any shape you prefer.
- Assemble the Pizza: Carefully remove the preheated pizza stone or baking sheet from the oven. Place the rolled-out dough on a piece of parchment paper (for easy transfer) and then onto the hot pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges for the crust. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Add your choice of pepperoni or salami slices on top of the cheese.
- Bake the Pizza: Carefully transfer the pizza (on the parchment paper) back into the preheated oven. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Finish and Serve: Remove the pizza from the oven using a pizza peel or a large spatula. Drizzle a little olive oil over the hot pizza for added flavor. Slice and serve your delicious homemade pizza immediately. Enjoy your homemade pizza with your chosen toppings! You can customize it with additional ingredients like fresh herbs, garlic, or vegetables if you like.
- Prep Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian