This Taco Bake Recipe is made with ground beef, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, onions, bell peppers, seasonings, and lots of cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen or from a can), drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Mexican-blend cheese
- Avocado slices
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapenos
- Chopped scallions
- Tortillas or tortilla chips
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat, add the oil and wait for it to shimmer. Add the onions, bell peppers, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground beef and cook, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, ground cumin, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, corn, black beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid has reduced.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the meat mixture, cover, then turn the heat off and leave for a few minutes for the cheese to melt. Alternatively, you can bake in the oven at 400°F for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Serve with avocado, cilantro, and tortillas.
- To melt cheese, you can just add on the skillet, cover, and remove from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. If you prefer a crispier cheese, you can bake in the over at 400°F for 5-10 minutes.
- Start with a Base: Begin by spreading a thin layer of the taco meat mixture on the bottom of the baking dish. This creates a solid foundation for the layers to come.
- Cheese Layer: Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded cheese over the tortilla chips. This creates a melty, cheesy layer that binds the ingredients together.
- Final Toppings: Finish off with a final layer of cheese on top. This will create a golden and bubbly crust when baked.
- Bake with Care: Bake the taco bake according to the recipe instructions. Keep an eye on the top layer of cheese to ensure it doesn't burn. If needed, cover the dish with foil during the last few minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 336.7
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 1,473.7 mg
- Fat: 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.0 g
- Fiber: 10.3 g
- Protein: 33.0 g
- Cholesterol: 80.0 mg