This Italian Fried Calamari with Lemon Aioli is made with buttermilk, flour, paprika, chili powder and fried to perfection.
- 1 pound calamari ring, or squid cut up into rings
- Light vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Lemon wedges for serving
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Add vegetable oil in a large heavy pot on medium heat until the candy thermometer registers 375°F. It is highly recommended to use a candy thermometer.
- Place the squid in the buttermilk and let it sit in the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes.
- For the lemon aioli, combine the mayonnaise and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and spices.
- Working in batches, toss the squid in the flour until fully coated.
- Once all the squid is coated in flour, shake off excess flour and fry a handful of squid at a time.
- Fry until golden, about 2-4 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the calamari from the fryer and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Season with salt.
- Serve with lemon aioli.
- Be sure to use a frying thermometer to keep the oil at 375°F. If it’s too hot it burns. If its too cold, the squid absorbs excess oil and becomes greasy.
- Serve immediately.
- Fried calamari will taste great with marinara sauce as well.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 453.0
- Sugar: 0.0 g
- Sodium: 546.0 mg
- Fat: 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.8 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 30.9 g
- Cholesterol: 423.0 mg