This Harissa Honey Chicken (Air Fryer or Oven) is made with bone in chicken, harissa paste, honey, garlic, ginger and is baked to perfection.
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken wings, drumsticks, or thighs
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- In a large bowl, mix the harissa, honey, ginger, and garlic and whisk together. Add the chicken inside the bowl and mix until coated. Please the chicken in the refrigerator and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator until the chicken reaches room temperature.
- For Oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add the chicken onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, flipping once halfway.
- For Air Fryer: Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Air Fry for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes: Marinating the chicken in the harissa honey mixture for at least 30 minutes will allow the flavors to penetrate the meat and make it more tender and flavorful.
- Use quality chicken wings: Look for chicken wings that are plump, meaty, and have a good skin-to-meat ratio. Organic or free-range chicken wings can have better flavor and texture than conventionally raised chicken.
- Don't skimp on the harissa: The harissa is the star of this dish, so be sure to use a good quality harissa paste or make your own. The paste should be spicy, slightly sweet, and slightly smoky.
- Adjust the heat to your liking: If you're sensitive to spicy food, you can adjust the amount of harissa used in the recipe to your liking. You can also use a milder chili paste or omit the chili paste altogether and just use honey and other spices.
- Brush the chicken with glaze: Brush the chicken wings with the harissa honey glaze while cooking to ensure the flavors are evenly distributed and the chicken stays moist.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon: A squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the cooked chicken wings can help balance out the heat and add a fresh, bright flavor to the dish.
- Serve with a cooling dip: Serve the chicken wings with a cooling dip such as tzatziki, hummus, or ranch dressing to help balance out the heat and add more flavor to the dish.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American