This Avocado Lettuce wraps with Walnut Salad Dressing is an old Mexican style recipes similar to Chiles en Nogada but vegetarian.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 2/3 cup peeled almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped stale kaiser bread, soaked in water
- 2/3 cup queso fresco or ranchero, crumbled
- 1/2 garlic clove
- In a blender, add the nuts, almonds, wet bread, cheese, garlic, salt and 1/2 cup water. Blend and add more water if necessary, but making sure to keep the sauce thick.
- Bring water to a boil. Salt the water generously. Add the lettuce until the lettuce becomes bendy. Use tongs to slowly keep pulling out the leaves and they come off easily from the stem. Add them in a strainer. It should take about 4-6 minutes.
- Lay a leaf flat on a surface and add the diced avocado on it. Season with salt. Roll the lettuce into the shape of an egg roll. Repeat with the rest.
- Add the lettuce wraps on a plate. Pour the “nogada” sauce over the wraps and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mexican