This Philly Roll is made with sashimi grade tuna, avocado, Philadelphia cream cheese, sushi rice, nori sheets, and shaped into gorgeous sushi rolls.
When you cut sashimi grade tuna, you should separate the fatty tuna and the lean tuna. The fattier tuna is more fibrous and the leaner tuna has less fibers and is more tender. See below to see how we separated the fibrous fatty tuna vs the non fatty.
The leaner tuna can be cut in rectangles, each individually cling wrapped, and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Best way to cook 3 cups of sushi rice
- Start by rinsing your sushi rice! Put the 3 cups sushi rice in a bowl and pour water into it to fill it up higher than the rice. Stir the rice with your hand until the water in the bowl whitens. Strain the rice and repeat 3-4 times. Pour water in and strain until the water is clear. Leave the clear water in the bowl of sushi rice for one hour. After one hour, strain the rice once again and leave in strainer for another 30 minutes. You want to get rid of all the starch on the rice cooker. If you skip this step, your rice will be incredible sticky.
- Fill in a heavy deep pan with 3.5 cups of water and turn on high. When the water begins to boil, immediately turn the heat to low and pour 3 cups of rice in and cover. Set a timer for 15 minutes and let it cook for that long.
- Meanwhile in a small pot on medium heat, throw in ¼ cup of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Do not let the contents boil. Just keep stirring until the sugar is completely melted. Turn off and set to the side.
- When the timer goes off for the rice, turn the heat off and remove. Keep the pan covered for another 15 minutes.
- After the rice has been removed from the heat and covered for 15 minutes, place the rice on a baking sheet. Pour the vinegar contents on the rice! Let the rice cool for 20 minutes. Flip the rice over with the wooden spoon, and cool another 20 minutes.
How to make a Philly Roll
Using the leaner cut tuna and a sushi rolling mat, place the rice on a nori sheet, and then place sliced cream cheese, sliced avocado, and sliced lean tuna on top of the rice. Roll into a sushi roll and then cut into pieces!