How to make Gorditas is simple with two ingredients: Masa Harina, or Maseca, and hot water, blended and cooked on the griddle.
What you will need
Masa Harina: The brand I use when I make tortillas or gorditas is Maseca. It is the most traditional brand, although I know people use different ones.
Water: Make sure the water is hot so the Masa Harina gets well combined and into the perfect dough.
How to make Gorditas
- Boil about 3 cups of water (we will only use half but its smart to make more)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of maseca and 1 ½ cup of hot water. Begin working the masa with your hands. Make a ball of dough with your hands and with your hand start molding the masa to make a saucer shape the size of the palm of your hand, about ¼ inch thick.
- Heat a skillet of oil on medium heat, and cook the Gorditas until they are cooked through, about 7-9 minutes on each side. Keep flipping until they are lightly browned.
- Split the Gordita open with a knife and stuff the shredded beef in.
Other dishes to try
- CHEESY ZUCCHINI WITH CORN (CALABACITAS CON ELOTE Y QUESO)
- COCHINITA PIBIL
- MEXICAN SOPES WITH CARNE ASADA